Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lost Cat/Found Cat/Reintroductions......

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Myanimalmadhouse, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Myanimalmadhouse

Myanimalmadhouse PetForums VIP

Hello fellow cat chatters - I know its been a while! :D

So for anyone who has no idea who I am lol I have 7 cats in total however in June 2012 my Gizmo went missing then 3 weeks later Lyla vanished - did all the posters, registering with vets/rscpsa/petsearch, pounded the pavements, knocked on doors etc etc to no avail......BUT......

....just over a week ago Lyla turned up on the windowsill wanted to come in (just like she used to before she went missing!) - yep over a year with nothing then she just turns up sporting a scraggy looking collar (which she did NOT have went she went missing!)

So a brief encounter a quick feed and she quickly decided to leave again - didn't get chance to really check her over but on a quick glance she seemed in fairly good condition and pressumed that someone has been looking after her and that she had just decided to move house - mixed feelings but thankful that at least she's safe and well and not come to some grizly end!

The next morning she was waiting at the window to be let in the be fed again, so gave her some and she left again very quickly, then again that night, the next morning however she wasn't in any hurry to leave so shut the kitchen door and put a bed in there with the window open so she could stay for as long as she wanted and leave when she wanted - she ate and then went to sleep and only left after about 4 hours! Also at this point I got a better check of her, and although her coat is quite glossy she is pretty thin underneath.

So couple more days of her coming morning and night (had been letting her come back of her own accord as not to frighten her) she's spending longer and longer and so decided its time to reintigrate back into the household properly - as the other 5 are quite a happy little gang and have had to keep them seperate from her as none of them remember her :(

So she's been perfectly happy in the kitchen with bed and tray and food and she's made the place her own with first pickings at any fridge offerings ;)

Slowly she's been having little 5 minute wanders round the rest of the house while the others are out or shut away so she can scent swap in a more personal way :p

Things have been going slow and steady and so far she has met Magic and Goose on seperate occasions just for 5 minutes with treats (they are the most laid back of the gang) and both have gone ok I think, the boys just sniffed her and gave her a head bodge and she accepted it with a bit of a grumble but nothing major :D

My problem I think is going to be Millie! - They were only just tolerant of eachother before she went missing and I doubt they are going to find any new budding friendship now but will keep it slow and hope for the best :eek:

Wondering if Zyklene might help with the girls? I've got feliway already but not tried Zyklene before and am thinking might need to get something extra before the girls intros?

Wow sorry for the essay :p

2. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

You may use zylkene for a timid cat, but a bully may actually gain more confidence and become even more of a pest.

I give zylkene to Josje, who tends to get spooked by other cats bullying, but I have to take care Romeo doesn't eat any of it. Romeo is w big wuss, but he is also a bit of a bully, sometimes. He loves to tease and scare other cats, especially Josje. If he were to become less of a wuss, he would no doubt be an even worse bully. So no zylkene for Romeo.

3. Myanimalmadhouse

Thanks for that, see this is the awkward question, Millie is the timid one but she's also the aggressor! Lyla is actually really confident around people and most noises dont really bother her and used to be quite happy and confident around the other cats apart from Millie - she's been quite timid with initial reintros of Goose and Magic but she's not exactly gone and hid either, just sort of sat there with little grumbles but not backing away and not scared just grumbley - like an old lady thats just muttering about something she's not happy about under her breath - if that makes sense?

4. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

So in fact she is saying to the other cats: don't come too close to me....
    And Millie doesn't heed the warning, but does invade her personal space.

How is Millie with the other cats? Do they all get on well, or does she have territorial issues with them, too?

5. Myanimalmadhouse

To be honest Millie is quite the madam when she wants to be with the other cats! They all get on really well, they all choose to sleep together,they all eat together with no problems, they'll all play together etc (apart from Lyla obvsiously whos still in the kitchen for the majority of the time at the moment) but Millie will do a quick swipe-by at one of the others - usually Goose which he doens't retaliate he just stops and looks at her and she runs off then 10 mins later they'll be cuddling up or playing!

6. londongal796

londongal796 PetForums Senior

Can Zylkene really make a bully cat more of a bully?! As this may be why Byron is being such a pest!!! He's always been one to hold resentment and be a bit of a bully, he doesn't seem 'worse' at the moment but he does seem a bit intolerant of the kittens presence (to an extent, as he follows them about then shouts about them being in 'his' space).

Maybe I need to stop the Zylkene altogether as Charlie is already adapting well and Byron may not need it either!

7. Myanimalmadhouse

Ok so fast forward a few days........

Had a quick meeting between Lyla and Millie, bit of grumbling from Lyla but surprisingly Millie was fine! However Goose has now got the grumps and is hissing when he sees Lyla - even though he's had a couple of short meetings that went totally fine before - and has a short temper with the others at the moment too :(

So I guess its a bit up and a bit down for now - time will tell eventually whether she can be reintegrated or not I guess but still looking hopeful that taking it slow and with time they'll be ok x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice