Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lost Appetite

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Ernie Monkey, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Ernie Monkey

Ernie Monkey PetForums Junior

Hi, hope someone can help...

My cat seems to have lost his appetite. It started perhaps in November when I noticed that he was eating less food. He used to get fed whenever he asked for it - he used to wake me up every night for food. Now he is eating much less, I don't get woken up in the night anymore. He seems to want food - runs to the bowls and cries - but when I put it down he smells it and runs off.

I feed him Bozita chunks mixed with Cosma shredded chicken - he won't eat the Bozita on it's own. I have tried him on many brands from Zooplus - He occassionally eats Grau (only tuna flavour). He will sometimes eat the Bozita Reindeer Pate. Everything else he has rejected. I have recently started leaving down some dry food all day to attempt to get him to eat. Have tried the dry Bozita which he seemed to relly love but I'm worried about whether it is good for him nutritionally. I have also just ordered Mastery which he eats but doesn't love. I also give him some raw lamb approx once per week - he loves this! I have only had him approx 3 years - before he came to me he ate Felix.

This loss of appetite seemed to start when he had his jabs at the vet. He had the first in October/November and the second in December. At the appointment in December I mentioned that he was eating less so the vet checked his mouth, listened to his chest, checked temp etc. She said he was fine.

So, why is he eating less? Could it be that he is bored of the Bozita? What else can I try that is similar - he doesn't like pate textured food.

Thanks, and sorry for rambling!

2. Lunabuma

Lunabuma Owned by two Orientals

My two have recently gone off Bozita. I have a cupboard of the stuff. Tried to ration the little bit of dry RC crunchy stuff they get to encourage them to eat the wet Bozita again. They just walked around the full bowls crying.

The final straw was when Luna went to her bowl and then made the motion to cover it up as if the bowl was in her litter tray! Little madam! Not going to bulk buy it again.

I realise this post isn't much help! I sympathise though! :rolleyes:

3. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

Hi Ernie! Have you had a look at his teeth? Could it be that they are sore? Does he seem to be losing weight? Both of my cats have lost their appetites in the last few weeks and now they are both on hunger strike, the older of the two (12 years old) is currently on treatment for cystitis, although I'm not sure this was the problem so not noticing much of an improvement, think he will be back at the vet for blood tests next week. Is your cat drinking more than usual? May be worth a trip to the vet to get him checked out, especially if you have noticed anything else different about his behaviour.

4. Ernie Monkey

Haha! Ernie did the same today - he scratched at the ground next to the bowl as if to cover it up - like he does with his poo! Oh dear - what is he trying to tell me?!

5. Ernie Monkey

The vet checked his teeth in December and they were fine - he will eat raw chunks of meat.

I think he has lost weight. But he seems happy - he isn't acting ill. Just won't eat the Bozita. But what else can I buy that is good quality when he won't eat the pate style of food??

I'm going to get some chicken necks on Monday and i'll see what he thinks of that....

6. Lucyh

Lucyh PetForums Member

Mine also went off Bozita a while ago... At the moment I am buying HiLife gravy and fish pots from Sainsburys and mixing them with other better quality foods, I find they will eat Grau or Anomonda Carny mixed in with the Hilife. It gives them the gravy that they love but they don't realise I've sneaked in something better quality...

7. skizeewoo

skizeewoo PetForums Newbie

has his drinking increased? my ski lost his appetite for a while but i wasnt too worried but i did notice he was drinking more and more and more! and weeing so much more as well. took him to the vets and well, you can guess the rest.

8. catlover0581

catlover0581 PetForums VIP

mine are only kittens, and my previous cats never had this problem :rolleyes:

but sometimes when they eat they scratch round their bowls, i put them on their tray and it seems to be that they eat, then need the loo, but don't realise they can go to the tray and their food will still be there lol.

if he doesn't appear to be losing weight, and happy otherwise, maybe just go through the catalogue of foods you could try to see if he has just become more choosy? wish i could help more - maybe get his vet to check his mouth again? just to be sure?

9. Ernie Monkey

Nope. Or not that I'm aware of - he drinks outside mostly.

I bought some Butchers classic and he has eaten it all - so I guess he is just sick of the Bozita - which is a pain as I have LOADS of it! Grrrr!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice