Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lost £3000 with EandL insurance!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by fitnessandhealth, Jun 23, 2009.

1. fitnessandhealth

fitnessandhealth PetForums Newbie

Hello guys, we had a hell of a problem with this company, about our Bulldog insurance. Before we insured her, we been to Vets for general checkup, and the suspected there might the problem in the future with her eyelashes irritating the eye, but was nothing worrying at the time. Few weeks later we got it clear from pets proffesor that there is no problem.
    After few months of insurance, we had an operation done because of tears coming down, and irritating the wrinkles skin, some of the wrinkles were removed.
    So EandL decided its connected conditions and refused to pay any of the fees about the face, eyes or skin. We had premium insurance, diamond cover.
    We heard about them not paying often, and its seems to be true.
    We are planning to take them to small claims court, and contact obsduman.
    Do someone of you had similar problem?
    Any answer appreciated.
    Kind regards

2. Yep me!

£11,000 out of pocket here

Recovered just over a thousand in the end!
    DT

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

they will only pay out if there is absolutely no way to wriggle out. Their reputation is so awful that you certainly wont shame them into paying. Having said that I did have a claim with them once and they paid up with no arguement. I then changed because of their repuation and had a real problem with another more reputable company.

4. Insane

Insane PetForums Senior

I have heard bad stories before. I was talking to a man a couple of years ago who said they would not pay for his dogs knee op and the dog had had problems before but the vet said that this was definitely an isolated case.

I would not touch EandL with a bargepole!

5. Nicci

Nicci Guest

E&L have one of the worst reputations for pet insurance, if you do a Google you will find lots of information.

6. And I wouldn't touch then with anyone elses eiterh Insane:D:D
    lol
    DT

7. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I think that's the insurance company I was going to insure my camera with but in the end I decided not to. I've heard of other people having bad experiances with them plus when I take pictures for groups my camera is insured with them anyway. I did look at them for pet insurance but I think I'll stay well clear.

8. Frenchie

Frenchie Banned

I think you should contact the Financial Ombudsman straightaway, explaining your case. There should be a procedure in your terms and conditions. E+L should also send you an information leaflet about the FO.

If your dog was clear of any signs of illness when you took out insurance, then they should pay.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

9. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

By almeans have a go at taking it further we did and got knowwhere, we insured our first dog for 8 years, 7 of those years 2 dogs we changed to a different level of insurance still with E&L easy to do basically a click of the button at their end, shortly after that i was with my 2 dogs on a local rescue fund raising walk when the eldest collapsed basically he was dying so managed to get him home and to emergency vets its a long story so wont bore you with the details, but he was diagnosed a day later with an enlarged heart(dylated cardio myopathy) if you have ever heard of it its a trminal condition and very scarey, the bill was over a few weeks, just under £3,000 and a monthly meds bill of £97 and £17 injection every 6 weeks.

The claim was put in and they said they couldnt/wouldnt pay out as it was 12days since the change and there is a 14 day deferment. I understand this to stop people insuring then claiming on an already known ilness, but we were insured anyway and the other level of cover was enough to pay much much more than £3,000 and meds for life. It was a loophole they saw and crawled right through it.

On the other hand our 2nd dog our eldest now had an enlarged prostate which was caused with him being intact so had to have lots of treatment and we was adviced to have him neutered the vets said that the insurance wouldnt cover the op but worth a try as without it the ilness would reuccur and worse but vets said they will cover the prostate treatment and if you dont have the op they will not insure any more ilnesses caused by it. We tried and they paid the vet direct for the treatment and the castration they were very good.

10. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

years n years ago when i had horses my vet warned me off E&L,said they were a really bad company,stick with pet plan never had a problem with them

11. genna ann

genna ann PetForums Member

E&L have an appalling reputation in the vet profession.

I wouldnt bother trying to fight this decision, they always have a way of wangling out of paying, particularly if this is an existing condition.

Its too late for this claim but a cautionary word to others.

READ THE SMALL PRINT BEFORE TAKING OUT INSURANCE

It could make all the difference.

Genna xxxx

12. Frenchie

Frenchie Banned

while i agee that reading small prints is very important, i would discourage fitnessandhealth fighting this decision. There's a few things fitnessandhealth can do: contact the ombudsman or even the FSA. They will surely help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice