Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

loss of fur

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tigermoon, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Has anyone had any experience with fur pulling or possibly alopecia in their cat? I noticed that one of my cats has lost all of the fur between his back legs. He looks like he has been clipped about 2 weeks ago as there is a short covering of fur across the area. I have not seen him pulling his fur or seen evidence of him doing this so it's a bit of a mystery. Typically be was due to go to a show :rolleyes:

2. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

My Flea had alopecia when I got her. I think it was because of frustration of being in a shelter cage for 6 months. It got worse while she adjusted to her new home and at one stage her whole undercarriage was bald, her flanks and her legs. The vet said it was best just to leave it and see if she outgrows it. She did and now she only has some on her front legs. I see her chewing now and again and try to distract her, but otherwise it's not too bad.
    Does your boy have any nervous conditions, perhaps? Recent period of stress? It could be an allergy as well, causing the overgrooming. It may even be a seasonal thing. Or hormonal. These were the vet's other suggestions at the time.

3. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I did wonder if he was feeling stressed but I'm not sure what would have caused it. There haven't been any new additions to the house. With the exception of changing from Royal Canin to Porta 21 dry food about two months ago there have been no changes diet wise. :(

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Another cause can be bladder problems. Are you sure she's OK in that department?

5. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Hmm that's interesting OS. I have noticed him licking himself n that area quite a lot, but never seen him actually pulling the fur. I watched him carefully just now while he was washing himself. I think I'll take him for a visit to the vet tomorrow just to make sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice