Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Loss of chinchilla mourning sister

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by Ariarose, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Ariarose

Ariarose PetForums Newbie

Hello guys

I've had 2 sisters from 3 months of age and one of them randomly died over night she was 8 and I don't know if it's because I'm pregnant and extra emotional but I can't stop feeling so awful for her sister. I'm 30 weeks pregnant and I'm sitting on my kitchen floor in agony with back ache for over an hour so she has me there when she's playing rather than being alone usually I'd leave them 2 it because they have there own utility room to themselves but, I just feel awful for her being alone now and the guilt is killing me even though its not my fault. I have no room for another cage and I don't really want another one as its not guaranteed they will bond anyway and I got a baby on the way any minute now. The best I can do is make sure she can play as much as she wants on the evening but honestly I can't stop tearing up that she's so alone now

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

While your remaining chinchilla will most likely cope alone after a period of adjustment, it is vitally important to give her plenty of human interaction and attention. Being pregnant does not excuse you from your duty of care regarding your chinchilla. Lots of playtime alone is not an option, and no chinchilla should be allowed playtime unsupervised. You need to decide wether you are going to be able to allocate enough time to your chinchilla once you have given birth.

3. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

She will adjust being alone with time. They don't need to come out although if she's used to it will probably expect it.
    Some interaction with her in the cage would be enough until you're able to give more. Remember you being pregnant and then needing time to look after a new born is a temporary situation for an animal you've already had for 8 years.

4. EmRev36

EmRev36 PetForums Newbie

My husband & I are vets & have rescued a chinchilla. She has now settled so we are now looking for a partner. Where about a are you ? We are going to a chin rescue centre tmrw, but if you are nearish to us, overwhelmed & thinking you may need to rehome her, please let me know & we aren’t far we could come & meet you & her. We have a 2nd large cage for slow introduction, if necessary, of our new rescue. Good luck x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice