Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Loss of apetite, vomiting and constipation

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Mur, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Mur

Mur PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone. My cat is 9 year old neutered short hair domestic 5kg cat (little bit chubby, but not fat). He suddenly lost apetite, started to vomit food as it was eaten, even a small amount and stopped passing stools, however, he urinates and drinks water well. The vet has done multiple blood tests that returned normal, X Ray that did not find any foreign bodies, ultrasound that showed all internals are in good shape, endoscopy that found nothing, GI tract biopsy that returned normal... However, the cat is under anti sickness medicine, barely eats, retching and gagging, and also not passing stools. Anyone has experienced something similar? Any ideas please?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Mur and welcome :)

I am very sorry to hear about your cat's health issues. Can I ask if his mouth/teeth/gums and throat were checked by the vet while your cat was under the GA for the biopsy?

If your boy is hardly eating anything there will be nothing much going through his digestive system and so he may have no stools to pass.

As he has already had many tests including a GI tract biopsy and nothing abnormal organically has been found, it might indicate his problems are diet related.

Can I ask what his diet is at present, since he began vomiting or regurgitating his food? Thanks :)

OrientalSlave likes this.
  3. Mur

Mur PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your response!

Yes, the vet removed also two teeth that had lesions and did dental clean too. Throat and gums were not affected, the vet had a thorough check.

I have not amended his diet for a while, he is for couple of years now on Hills prescription dry & wet food and drinks only water. Our veterinary nurse is calculating his dietary requirements, so he gets enough calories and not more as he is a bit chubby, we do our best to maintain his weight and not gain more. I also give him treats Dreamies of different flavour, but he has had them since being very young.

The vet said he is running out of options since all tests returned normal. Also, the vet cannot insert feeding tube because my cat is vomiting and this is a hazard. However, my cat still can't eat and keep his food. Any advice please how to help him to keep food inside?

Thank you

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Right now I would try a tin of hills a/d or royal canine recovery. If he will eat it then you can get more online. Also I wonder if he is feeling nauseous? Unfortunately cats can become anorectic and refuse to eat even when the original problem is fixed. A steroid shot might help, very unfortunate he can't have a feeding tube

5. Mur

Mur PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your advice! We had Hills a/d tin yesterday as vet suggested to try as an alternative, he licked some and unfortunately vomited out all, now he ignores a/d, attempts to eat his regular Hills food, but vomits all out anyway. He definitely has nausea.

For some reason, my vet did not offer steroids nor pain killers nor anti constipation medicine, only anti sickness medicine, do you think steroids would help? How steroids will aid him? I am seeing vet again this afternoon for another anti sickness shot and will ask for steroids too.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Mur - is the anti-sickness injection Cerenia? How often is he having it?

It sounds as though your cat may be regurgitating his food [i.e brings it up as soon as he's eaten it], rather than vomiting it partly digested.?

This kind of problem may best be addressed from several different angles.

When there is no apparent physical cause (from tests) it may be the case the cat is associating the smell of the food with his nausea. i.e. he has learnt not to trust the food. So it's best not to offer him any make of food he's had since the vomiting began.

I would remove all dry food from his diet, all treats and do not give him milk of any kind. Vomiting dry food can happen when the cat is not drinking enough to hydrate it. If food is not moist enough it can't break down to a thick liquid and pass through the pyloric sphincter to leave the stomach. So it sits in the stomach for a few hours until the stomach rejects it and the cat pukes it up.

I have two cats (brothers) with IBD. When I adopted them they were both vomiting frequently. Feeding them wet food only, little but often, helped a lot. So they are fed 6 times a day, and that includes supper at bedtime, and also food left in timed autofeeders overnight for them to eat at 5 am.

If my boys are not fed approx every 4 hours, they get a build-up of gastric acid in their tummies and as soon as they eat anything, they regurgitate it straight away. This might be what is happening to your cat. (note that cats in the wild would eat up to 8 times a day, so 6 small meals a day is not unnatural for a cat)

As well as feeding your cat more frequent, smaller meals, it might be an idea to ask the vet for Famotidine (an antacid) which you can give 5 mg of once a day. I hide it in a piece of Easypill cat putty when I give it to my cats (which is only occasional nowadays). Easypill can be bought from Amazon and online pet pharmacies, and I think I also saw it on sale recently in Pets at Home or Pets Corner.

The next thing is to get your cat eating and keeping his food down. So you will need to find a food that has no negative associations for him.. Have you ever fed him roasted home cooked turkey thigh? Most cats seem to like it. If he has not has this since he began the vomiting then it should not have any negative associations for him.

You would cook it in a roasting pan, with about 4 cms of water added for stock, covered tightly with baking foil and baked for 1 hour 15 mins gas mark 5 top shelf of oven. Serve by cutting into very small pieces, and add some of the nutritious cooking stock for fluids. Start with a teaspoonful of the turkey & stock on a flat dish or saucer. No deep bowls.

If possible leave the room while he eats, so he doesn't feel under pressure to eat. If he refuses the turkey, take it away after an hour and try something else.

Poached white fish might be acceptable to him and is very soothing for the tummy. Tesco sells bags of frozen pollock which is cheap and cats like it. Cook for 10 mins on a covered plate over a saucepan of boiling water adding water to the plate before cooking. (Some people microwave it, with water). To serve, chop into small pieces, and add fish stock for fluids.

It also could help him to have his dish raised when he eats in case he is getting gastric reflux after eating. I have a raised feeder for one of my boys who was getting gastric reflux and it has helped him a lot. You could try for now raising your cat's dish on a thick book. Place a folded tea towel or small towel on top of the book to stop the cat bowl slipping off as he eats.

If you decide to get a raised feeder, ensure you get one that has wide shallow dishes - many types have deep narrow bowls which are unsuitable for a cat as their whiskers touch the sides which causes whisker fatigue.

This the one I have :

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/610...llery-1-39&organic_search_click=1&frs=1&col=1

Please let us know if any of the above helps your cat.

It is possible he has a food allergy to one of the common meat proteins or to grains, and if none of the above helps, the next step would be to try him on an elimination diet, which I can help you with. :)

Sending lots of good wishes for your cat. xx

#6 chillminx, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  7. Mur

Mur PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply.

Yes, we receive Cerenia shot every 24h for the last 10 days.

He vomits either partially digested food, but also regurgitating just eaten food indeed. Cerenia stops him doing that, but he still retches after eating food.

He is not touching much dry food, even treats, he attempts to eat wet food, but fails to keep it down. I will try different flavours or brand.

Unfortunately my cat does not eat Easypill, but I am capable to get a tablet down him with years of practice. I will also ask the vet about antacid medicine.

Same goes for human food, he does not eat turkey, chicken, fish unless it is cat food. I have to admit he is a very particular cat when it comes down to food, he would also not eat supermarket cat food like Whiskas or Felix, he wants only Hills, but we never tried Royal Canine, might worth giving this brand a go.

I have put a book under his bowl, we will check if helps.

Thank you very much

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice