Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Loose yellow poos and white speckles...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by caterpiller, Jun 28, 2020.

1. caterpiller

caterpiller No thoughts, head empty.

Pup has been having some tummy troubles... (photos attached of poo, you have been warned)

He has a little bit of his dry food (Harringtons puppy) yeah... not the best of foods and will probably change to millies wolfheart turkey when he's better.

And home cooked long grain rice with boiled chicken.
    We went to the vets when this all started and they told us it was giardia and put him on medication and he has had it for 4 days (one day left) with no improvement. His poos dont smell but they're yellow and runny. Also have white specks in them but no stringy worms (specks are small, not the size of a grain of rice)
    We've booked another appointment at another vets for Wednesday (when they first open) and in the meantime, does anyone know what it could be??? 20200628_123032.jpg 20200627_210204.jpg

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Mmmm

Definitely would see another vet. I don't think any vet would suggest giardia straight away, a good vet may suggest giardia as being one of a reasons a dog may have diarrhea but there is a lot of reasons young puppies have diarrhea. Yes giardia maybe one, usually from byb breeders and puppy farms but wouldn't be first thought from a good breeder whose health testing surely would be attending to the litter well..

White specks possibly partially undigested rice because the digestive system is working really quickly hence the diarrhea.. I would say nothing to worry about.

Personally I would stick to the chicken and rice and no puppy food or treats till he starts to firm up. Even then I would leave it about a week before introducing Harrington till his stomach has time to rest.

Keep on 4 meals a day too, or even 5 to keep the digestive system ticking and not overloading it.

kimthecat, niamh123 and caterpiller like this.
  3. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Oh what nasty poo's and soo bulky too:eek:.
    This could be related to the amount of grain in his diet.
    Our dogs can have problems with digesting grains (rice is also a grain) and a lot of this bulky poo is undigested fillers/grain.

Harringtons contains a lot of grain 20% Rice, Maize and Oats, and very little meat, (in their puppy there is only 26% Turkey,) and this will be highly processed. Add this to the is the rice that you cook to mix with the chicken, he is getting a lot of grain:eek:
    You may find that if and when you change to the "Millies Wolfheart" the poo's and nasty bulky appearance disappear.

Might I just add that if you change to "Millies" you start with a low protein and gradually increase to higher protein slowly, "Forerunner" would be fine for starter.

I hope you solve your problem.:oops:

http://rawfed.com/myths/vets.html

niamh123 likes this.
  4. lullabydream

No dogs do not have a problem digesting grains. That is your opinion but it isn't true. There could be an underlying problem which the OP states she is seeking medical advice for by seeing the vet.

The dog in question has been weaned on to the food, and has been with her for a matter of weeks. She is a new puppy owner who doesn't need to feel she has done anything wrong. She hasn't, she has stuck to the the food weaned food and a problem has arose. Seeking a second opinion now as things still are not right.

She has said she will probably go on to mollies wolfheart, wouldn't be my personal choice as its high in carbs and marketing gimmick but if dogs do well on it so be it. Her choice again.

Raw diets doesn't miraculously clear all problems in digestive issues.

What ever you feed your dog, as long as it suits your dog so be it.

caterpiller and Mum2Heidi like this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Or any of the other cereals that mainly constitute Harringtons.
    Looks to me like matter in the food that the dog is unable to digest is irritating the gut - I had the same thing with Ziggy when I first got her. Changing to a cereal-free diet was an overnight fix. Literally. Next day she was doing normal healthy poos.

wee man and caterpiller like this.
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Mine did. Many others do. No sweeping statement like that can have any validity for the thousands of dogs that you don't know, have never fed or seen suffering the consequences of eating cereals they are intolerant to.

caterpiller likes this.
  7. lullabydream

But the sweeping statement saying dogs do have a problem with grain is wrong. There are also many many dogs who have a problem with proteins, which isn't an instant fix going grain free. It can be months of doing an elimination diet to see what/which protein a dog reacts to.
    There has always been evidence that dogs, may react which is why hypoallergenic diets became a thing.

Years ago there was no grain free and in reality not that many years ago that grain free was a thing unless you bought wet food and even then, some foods contain and still do contain masses of carbs including grains. Dogs were fed scraps meat was always too precious to feed dogs. This is still true in developing countries where dogs are often used to work to fed families and they feed gruel based meals. The will to survive, and flourish meant dogs usually can pretty much eat anything. We usually see exceptions here rather than the rule.

Dogs aren't wolves. They can and do process grains.

caterpiller likes this.
  8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I’ve noticed with a few brands (Step Up) rice comes out in grains and appears more than the listed %.
    It was a while ago. I avoid them for that reason but I don’t remember seeing as much in the meat as in pooh.
    Heidi has no issue with rice and digests it well in most food.

9. lullabydream

Most foods don't list the true amount of carbs.. Plus it's dry weight before processing which makes a huge difference.
    I don't know what people think they are buying sometimes when only 50% of meat and carbs are listed, then further in the list is more carbs, oils vitamins and minerals. Too many vitamins and minerals can be really bad for dogs so it's clearly low protein packed with carbs. Even though for marketing purposes the bag states otherwise. Not that it's a bag thing at all. Clearly many dogs thrive. Supermarkets clearly are stocking better foods. However in my Tesco it was the pedigree and the like that quickly went off the shelves far quicker than lily's Kitchen and vets kitchen before the shelves were completely empty.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I wondered if perhaps some brands use dry weights and others cooked. That would account for a seemingly larger quantity and of course if it wasn’t cooked as well perhaps account for not digesting.
    This is what I found in decent brands.
    I cringe at Pedigree etc. yet a can of that, Bounce/Bonus/shops own and a bag of mixer biscuits didn’t give my previous dogs half as many upsets.

11. lullabydream

It should all be dry weight as stipulated under guidance.. It's all fairly crap though very their for consumers marketing with allowance of words rich in something which only has to have 4% the named product for one example..

Although is it worse than our own foods for human consumption? It obviously improved after the horse meat scandal but I remember in school doing home economics told to read labels for nutrition as they were important then. Not just hidden sugars for an example, but lower quality beef burgers had never seen a cow and often made from chicken and pork, with beef flavourings. It's not something I have bought though.

caterpiller and Mum2Heidi like this.
  12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

No-one has made any such statement that I'm aware of. Some dogs have problems with grains, others don't.

13. lullabydream

Wee man did. My relation to me posting about grains are not bad was in their post. Every time someone mentions a dog has bad digestion it must be grains, is the answer.

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Well it often is. Protein allergies/intolerances usually show in other ways, often itching. The sort of grains we have now, bred recently with much higher levels of gluten than they did just a few decades ago, are most likely also responsible for the rise in human gluten intolerance and the necessity for gluten-free products. The commercial bakers like them - they can produce bread more easily and cheaply - but their development has been faster than we (and probably also dogs) have been able to evolve to deal with them.
    The sort of poo that OP photographed, showing grain residue, associated with a grain-heavy brand is the most likely cause. That's not to say other things shouldn't be investigated, but moving to a grain free or wheat free diet is usually a sensible first step when poo like that is produced.

caterpiller, niamh123 and wee man like this.
  15. lullabydream

He's a young puppy, and puppies can get upset with a variety of things. If people changed their dogs staple food everytime their dog vomited or had a loose stool because something didn't agree with them.. They would be changing their diet a lot.

Allergies and being intolerant to food are not the same thing and being intolerant to protein can cause digestive issues too.

Are humans more intolerant of gluten?Or latest fad to be healthy, similiar to grain free?The jury is out on that one. If you are talking about coeliac disease it's an autoimmune disease so completely different.

If grains were so terrible why are there so many average dog owners still buying the products and dogs are thriving. Why people think potato is better than grain is mind boggling. Especially when some dogs really can't tolerate white potato or sweet potato.

At the end of the day, what you feed your dog is your own personal choice, but to suggest after one bout of loose stools has done everything right. If you had read the OP post, she had fed boiled chicken and rice, with a small amount of the Harrington. Both you @Burrowzig and @wee man rushed in to tell the OP to stop with the food. She had, practically. The undigested boiled rice seen in the poo was home cooked rice that hadn't digested. The colour of poo, suggests fast transit nothing else. Nothing to do with the 'grain in the current food' she was feeding.

She's going to the vets and seeing what they say.

16. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Really? I wasn't aware that you had it analysed.

wee man likes this.
  17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Mine passes something exactly like that when he eats something that doesnt agree with him (the much coveted Chappie produces mounds of the stuff). Grains/cereals are a no no, as is anything high fat; he can have raw chicken/turkey, but not the skin.

niamh123, caterpiller and wee man like this.
  18. lullabydream

Am going more on what you were suggesting earlier

19. caterpiller

caterpiller No thoughts, head empty.

Hello! Been to the vets and they gave Pancur and prebiotics and sent the fecal samples off. And cost me around £210! *shocked pikachu face* tbh I was expecting it to be more. We will hear back from them in 4-5 working days, apparently. So fingers crossed they find out what it is.

20. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Let's hope the result will be something quiet simple and not too ongoing and expensive!:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice