Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Loose stools

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mickkee, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Mickkee

Mickkee PetForums Newbie

I've got a 12 year old staff (bitch) recently she has been having a few problems with diaria and blood in her stools..
    Up until now she has never been vaccinated and never been ill in her life.. I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks and she for tge forst time has to go to kennels so in the last months I had to give her the awful vaccinations and kennel cough.. shortly after the second vacination she became unwell with diaria.. alot of scrapping her bum in the floor and then fresh blood in her stools. After freaking out she has been to and from the vets.. who gave her some kinda of powder to put in her food and a soft food too for her, this was about 2 weeks ago.. this started to work (she still scraped her bum along the floor but has done this all her life) but in the last 2 day it's started to happen again.. also I notice when this happens she drinks alot of water and very very unlike her wets her self :( other than that she isn't being sick.. eats well.. plays well and walks well. The vet who I use has been the same vet she has had since she was 6 weeks old and always says how healthy she looks.. on the last visit they felt her stomach and said it was nice and soft also her anul glands were fine.. I also wormed her to 2 weeks ago.
    Any more advise here ?
    Thanks

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It sounds like it might be worth asking the vet about doing some blood tests and a urine test, that can tell you a lot about general health and how organs like kidneys
    and liver are working. You can often pick up if anything is going on health wise from tests like these, and even if there are some old age changes and some wear and tear with earlier detection and simple things like diet changes and in some cases supporting medication if needed it can make a whole lot of difference to quality of life and extra life span, rather then leave things and find much later on there are problems that have gotten a lot worse. It never hurts with oldies to give them a through MOT once in awhile. If she has started drinking excessively urine and blood tests should check out things like how her kidneys are working, if there is any raised glucose so possibilityes of things like diabetes etc and all sorts of things, so well worth asking about and doing.

3. Mickkee

Mickkee PetForums Newbie

Thanks...
    She had a full mot end of last year.. I took her to the vets and asked for them to a oap check on her.. they did 2 blood test over some time to compare.. all came back normal..
    I'm not saying things could have changed for her since then but this is down to those horrible vacannations vets give out and this came on with her straight after the second one.. I believe it's lowerd her amune system. I've been to the pet shop this afternoon and bought her some special food as they advise for boosting her amune system so I'll see how she goes.. if not yes your rite and I'll get the blood test done again.
    Wish i never desided to go on holiday now.. feel she never asked for all those needles :(

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Dogs do have vaccinations for a reason.

It isn't necessarily the vaccines which have upset her. Elderly dogs can be prone to bowel and stomach issues.

I would be inclined to put her on a bland diet of chicken or white fish and maybe a probiotic or tinned pumpkin added to her food.

5. Mickkee

Mickkee PetForums Newbie

Thank you... if she is still like it in the morning I'll go to to Tescos and grab her something bland.. regardless I'll prob pop her into the vets Tuesday morning just incase.

I'm sure alot of people may disagree with my vacination comments and I do apologies if I come across strong about them.. but to me and only my personal opion I tottaly disagree with em.

6. Sled dog hotel

I don't disagree with your vaccination comments. I believe its important and puppies should have their full set of vaccinations and also probably the first yearly booster to protect them. I don't though believe in over vaccination, I actually have mine titre tested to check for immunity instead of yearly boosters and if the titres are OK they don't need doing, not the core vaccines anyway. Whilst thousands or millions more accurately do have vaccinations and boosters every year without incident is possible for some dogs to have adverse reactions too. It could be just a co-incidence. Had she been in kennels when it started there are other things they can pick up that isn't vaccinated for. There are protozoan parasites like Giardia and coccidia that normal wormers don't treat and you can get some nasty bacterial infections like campylobacter that is persistent and needs a longer course of more specific antibiotics to get rid of.

7. Mickkee

Mickkee PetForums Newbie

I've never heard of titre test.. something I will defo ask my vet about! Yes I had her puppy vacs witch I do agree with! like you do as a child. However anything from there I don't agree.. I met a vets nurse who told me a few facts that made me never vacanate my girl again! 12 odd years on she never got Ill. No she hasnt been in kennels yet.. after her first lot of vacs she couldn't breath so rushed her back to the vets who put her on antibiotics and anti flemitry witch cleared it up then this after her second lot of vacs!.. I'm totally convinced this is the issue.. even the vet said this is what he thought.. she isn't going to kennels for another week and I'm very worried I've made a mistake here and let her down.. I no she is old but there was no sign of her being I'll before this

8. Sled dog hotel

You may be interested in the world small veterinary association vaccination guidelines it explains all about vaccinations, duration of immunity, titre testing etc its a long read but lots of information on there.

http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/WSAVA Vaccination Guidelines 2015 Full Version.pdf

9. Mickkee

Mickkee PetForums Newbie

Thank you for this mate.. looks a good read.. I'm just of too bed so will look in the morning but will look forward to reading and reserching this.. thanks for all the info
    Thanks for your help

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice