Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Loose stool in kitten. Help needed

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by RossD89, Nov 11, 2020.

1. RossD89

RossD89 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone.

first time kitten owner so everything is new. We were gifted a kitten who is now 11 weeks old. He had his vaccinations on Monday and we noticed a small flea problem that he must have came with. That has been treat with Capstar and cleared up. I gave him his wormer tablet today also.

for the last couple of days however we have noticed he has rather loose stool. Sometimes it forms a shape and then ends rather loose or it just comes out like a bit of a sludge. Not watery but not far off

he is on felix kitten wet food pouches and go cat dry food as the breeder stated this is what he was on at home.

the stool ranges from darker brown to lighter sometimes. Can anyone suggest if this is normal with his age and recent flea problem. Like I say he has only just today had his wormer tablet so this may help but I am a little worried.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. scatatonic

scatatonic PetForums Member

I'm not an expert but doesn't sound too worrying. Mention it to the vet when you have his vet check. I would say Felix is junk food though... Plenty of advice on here for good quality foods. And post a pic! You can't post without supplying a cute kitten pic

RossD89 likes this.
  3. RossD89

RossD89 PetForums Newbie

Aaaw here you go. This is little Hank

Attached Files:

chillminx and scatatonic like this.
  4. scatatonic

scatatonic PetForums Member

Beautiful! Just as well I'm not a wealthy person as I would have dozens

RossD89 likes this.
  5. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

Ahh what a gorgeous chap!

I’m no expert (new kitten owner here too) but it could have been the combination of vaccinations, wormer and flea treatment was just too much for his little body all together.

Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly but when a kitten has very loose stools or diarrhea it’s best to feed them plain boiled chicken along with some of the broth - I think @chillminx recommenda cooking bone in, skin on chicken thighs in in some water a roasting tin covered in tin foil to get the best broth. This slows down the motility and rests the kittens bowel.

Then feed the kitten the cooked meat and a little skin until he passes a formed stool, then you can go back to introducing the wet kitten food.

I don’t believe that dry food is recommended when a kitten has loose stool as it can make it worse.

chillminx and RossD89 like this.
  6. RossD89

RossD89 PetForums Newbie

Ahhh thank you.

I have heard about the chicken thing to. I'm going to try and take away the dry food as everyone is saying it's just not great for them.

going to see how he is just on his wet food and water for rest of night and throughout tomorrow. Hopefully the dewormer tablet has helped with anything the fleas may have caused as I have read they can cause parasites and thy can lead to the runs etc...

thanks for your reply

chillminx likes this.
  7. jasmine2

jasmine2 PetForums Member

My kitten is having the same problems and he eats felix wet food. My younger cats have upset tummy on felix but they like it. I think you should change his food to good quality food as felix might be too rich for him.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Felix AGAIL may not suit your kitten because of one of the common proteins it contains. (e.g. beef, chicken or fish)

It also contains quite a high percentage of vegetable protein which replaces some of the meat protein, veg protein being a less expensive ingredient than meat. It is not that Felix is a 'rich' food, but it does contain quite a high level of veg fibre which increases the passage of food through the gut so that some may reach the colon without being fully digested, hence loose stools.

Transferring your kitten straight to a better quality food may make things worse, as many better quality foods are more nutritious than Felix and therefore "richer" than Felix.

The best thing, as Mrs Farq has said, would be to put your kitten on a bland home-cooked chicken diet for a few days (no cat food at all) to rest his bowel.

Serve the chicken chopped with the skin, but without bones. He will be likely to pass no stool for a few days. When he passes a formed firm stool you should start transferring him back slowly to cat food over a few days.

If you prefer not to put him back on Felix, look at e.g Thrive Complete Chicken & Turkey, Seriously Good Kitten Chicken (from Pets at Home) , or maybe Animonda Vom Feinsten Kitten from Zooplus UK.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/animonda/kitten/14012

or for a kitten with a very sensitive gut I have fed them Animonda VF Baby Pate for a few weeks

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/animonda/kitten/174353

#8 chillminx, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    RossD89, mrsfarq and scatatonic like this.
  9. RossD89

RossD89 PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am going to monitor the little guy today and see if anything gets better now he's had 24 hours since his worming pill and what not but I am going to do some chicken as well to help him out.

Everyone has been amazing. Thank you

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice