Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Loose lead walking....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nicki85, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

Bit of a strange one...
    The method I've used for training Shae to LLW is to treat her when in the correct position, be it with food or verbal praise. If she goes ahead, pulls or lunges I stop and wait (usually with out a command) for her to return to the correct position. She's either walked on a harness or collar.

But now i'm not too sure what to do! She's got to the point where she is so focused on me that she'll trip over the kerb, walk into lamposts and cars and other things that are on the path unless I steer her round them. She'll notice people and dogs though ;) but will refocus nicely.

How do I get her to just LLW without watching me constantly?! I've considered ignoring her but she can't figure out then what to do... and she is a clever so and so and will go ahead of me so I will stop and then she'll get treated for coming back in to the correct position.

She has me very well trained :001_rolleyes:

2. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I don't really know, I would have said don't reward until she's not looking at you but it sounds like you've tried that.

Molly's LLW has improved so much in the last week. I think it's just finally clicked, although my LLW is more like loose heel work though.

3. Buzzard

Buzzard PetForums VIP

Well that is better than llw training having no effect what so ever like with Mac. He just doesn't get it. Months and monthsI have been trying with him and not getting any further with it. Not sure what to suggest.

4. Sprocket

Sprocket PetForums Newbie

What a not so bad problem to have :)

So you still treat then ? I would maybe phase the treats out and just every now and then reward with whatever verbal praise you used along with the treat? for me that was "good boy" or "yes"

My lad when learning LLW would pull so I would stop and wait for him to come back to me , treat and then it was like he was deliberately pulling again just so he could get another treat after coming back! So my trainer just advised me to stop treating, his reward was the verbal and the moving forwards!

5. Skinnywhippet

Skinnywhippet PetForums Member

Best solution i have is to swap dogs with me. I guarantee you will never, ever have that problem again :D

I've spent hours and hours walking with a bag containing her lunch kibble in it, marking and treating when the lead goes loose. She *can* walk nicely but only ever for about 30 seconds at a time, then she alternates between coming to a dead stop and refusing to move till she's finished sniffing whatever (and i always think dragging your mutinous dog around by the neck in public is a bad look) or standing on two legs at the end of the lead in front of me because there's another dog, person she knows, squirrel, rabbit, cat, possibility of same :(

6. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

Lol looking up all the time is something I am trying to teach one of my terriers for obedience. ;)

I learned a good technique recently - throw a toy or large item of food (or anything your dog wants) in front of you and walk towards it. If your dog pulls or even goes out of position a bit (easier to do before the lead goes taut) make an attention noise (not name or recall command or any LLW command) and walk backwards (trying not to jerk on the lead). When your dog is back in the right place, carry on walking forwards, and repeat until you reach the toy with her still in the right place, and have a great game, or let her eat the food - normally I would say pick the food up to give to her, but you don't want her looking at you so much, so she can either eat it off the floor or give it to her at arms length facing away from you.

This should keep her looking forwards a bit more.

I know what it's like though, if I have a clicker in my hands, my dogs won't stop looking at me!

#6 BoredomBusters, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  7. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

I had this EXACT problem yesterday. Io is so fixed on me when walking that the other day the poor puppy fell onto the curb :( I just now currently when I get near to a curb I hold a treat infront of her nose (still keeping the heel) just so she can see the curb.

8. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

Thanks all- really like the idea with something she wants in front of me and only allowing her forward when she is at heel. Shae finds verbal praise just as exciting as treats and will happily watch me while I chat away!! One day I might do obedience with her... shes got the attention for it certainly.

And don't worry- Rusty is a terror for pulling on lead!! He doesn't get it at all, it's all too exciting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice