UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
My 7.5 year springer spaniel looks like he has a UTI again, this will be the second time in 3 months. He's started leaking watery bright reddy pink blood from his man bits again this afternoon. I gave him some Metacam that we had left from the last time. He was fine on his walk running around like he normally does. Does not having any problem peeing, he watered every tree, lamp post and wall that he could.:)

He is un neutered could this be a reason why he's had 2 UTI's close together?

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi all.
My 7.5 year springer spaniel looks like he has a UTI again, this will be the second time in 3 months. He's started leaking watery bright reddy pink blood from his man bits again this afternoon. I gave him some Metacam that we had left from the last time. He was fine on his walk running around like he normally does. Does not having any problem peeing, he watered every tree, lamp post and wall that he could.:)

He is un neutered could this be a reason why he's had 2 UTI's close together?
Has he ever been checked for crystals or stones in the urinary tract I think they can cause these symptoms and also they can I think be prone to UTIs

Think what you are thinking of uneutering wise can be prostrate problems the prostrate can get enlarged or you can get infection and inflammation, neither or which are sinister but can be a problem in older uneutered males. I think that can cause blood in the urine and discharge and more frequent peeing too.

Sometimes though they can just get persistent urinary tract infections, some need specific antibiotics to clear it up or a longer course, so it could be that they never got rid of the infection completely last time and its re-occured its not that uncommon.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Did they check or tell you if his prostate was enlarged? I would think only if I was a prostate problem it would/could be linked to him being entire.

One my springers currently has another bladder infection (2nd in 5 weeks unless the first infection never cleared up :() my boy was showing typical signs of cystitis though, couldn't see blood in pee although it was present.

The vets (all 3 that have seen him :eek:) have said how massively enlarged his prostate is :( especially in a 3yr old :(

He is now on meds to suppress testosterone to shrink prostate - go back for a check in a week to make sure it's worked. Fingers crossed!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.