Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking to rescue a dog but....Some questions

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by Leam1307, May 20, 2010.

1. Leam1307

Leam1307 PetForums Senior

Will i be allowed one from a rescue centre if me and my OH work all day?

I leave the house at 8am and im not back until 5pm (sometimes earlier depending on my bosses mood)

We had thought about having a kennel and run outside in the garden so that during the day when we are at work the dog could be placed in the run. Would have space to play but somewhere to go if it was raining or wanted shade.

I have two cats so would not want to chance any accidents in the house while we are not there. We would be planning to have the dog in the house at all other times with us.

While we do have a small garden which is chipped and has decking and 6ft fences, there is a large grassy area in front of our house and at the end of the village is approx 22 square miles of forrestry with some water in places where we used to take my horses for a swim when we had them. Ive seen people with huskies and sledge's out along the forrest too.

Were not sure exactly what type of dog we would be looking for (good with cats obv.) The options on the list (all cross breeds too) GSD, Springer Spaniel, Husky, Huskamute, Collie, Lab, Doberman or Beagle (since i cant have a fox hound, heard it was illegal for hunt kennels to breed hounds to the public)

Would any of these breeds be ok in this environment?

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I don't think any of those breeds are suitable for your lifestyle, sorry

3. Leam1307

Thank you for the reply, could you possibly suggest some breeds that would be suitable?

My mother has a lab which we got as a pup and she has been kept in a kennel all her life, its all she has ever known and she doesnt like the house as its too hot for her. Until a year ago she had the same lifestyle as what mine is, although they had a large garden to let Becki out in when they came home from work. Her kennel is more like a house itself though with central heating and a double glazed window and douvet covers!

But i would rather get a dog/pup from a rescue centre rather than buying one from a breeder.

4. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Most rescues won't home to you because you work full time and because you want the dogs living outside. Alot have issue with dogs living outside because of security issues and the dog not being treated as fully part of a family. Personally I have no problem with the set up you are suggesting but I think you'll struggle to find a rescue who will rehome to you. The breeds you are wanting are all high energy level dogs, they need alot of attention, exercise, training and are really not suitable for the lifestyle you have. If you came to me I would rehome to you (subject to homecheck of course) BUT I certainly wouldn't allow a high energy breed and I would insist on a dog walker..even if the dog is kennelled in the day. 9 hours is too long for a dog to be left alone.

I suggest for a first dog finding an older rescue who is already cat friendly and used to being left. Before approaching local rescues find a reputable dog walker and work out if you can afford the costs, and ensure they have availablity to take your dog on. Then go to the rescue armed with all the details you have got together.

5. Leam1307

Thanks, We keep getting leaflets through our door from a dog walker in our village, i will have a look into it.

6. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Before I would have said yes. But since having Missy and going through what she was like due to the family working all day, I now say not a good idea. Missy was an outside dog, lived in a kennel etc, she is emotionally disturbed, very scared of everything, didnt know how to play, very upset. Because she was on her own alot, she became a naughty dog, now when she has done something wrong she will get very scared, wet herself, shake. Its awful to watch! Makes me so sad! :sad:

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying your dog will end up the same, but you need to be aware that dogs are very sociable little things and can get very stressed if on their own for along time.

All the breeds you have put down are very high energy dogs. I dont know of any that would do well. I am sure there are a few people who would say that their breed is ok though.

Good luck in what ever you do.

7. Leam1307

Sorry, dont mean to sound rude or anything, but does this mean that the majority of people on this forum have dogs that stay indoors and the owners do not work full time?

At the moment i work not too far from my house, about 20mins away so i could split the day and go home for lunch to let the dog out for a play (would work abit later to compensate but OH would be home to let the dog out at the normal time).

Do people normally seperate their dogs and cats during the day when they are out if both are kept in the house?

We were thinking of the outside run for the dog during the day as we thought this would be more interesting for them, getting to watch everything. Our neighbourhood is very quite and most people only come into the street if they actually live there, its not easy to get to from the road so from a security point of view i dont think this is a problem.

Do you think it would make a difference if we had two that maybe came together?

Oh and lastly, does anyone know of a web checker that could suggest a list of the best breed for your lifestyle? (obv i wouldnt go only on this, i would then look into the breeds properly, but to be honest i only know the most common onces off the top of my head)

#7 Leam1307, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  8. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Funnily enough I have 6 rescue dogs, work full time and they have access to outside while I'm not at home!! Offically I shouldn't have passed any homecheck but obviously I have. The difference is I'm an experienced owner, trainer and worked with rescue dogs for years BUT please don't discount being able to get a rescue dog its just likely it won't be from one of the big charites. Many many smaller rescues will rehome to you but let them guide you in the choice of dog, they are experienced at matching dog to owner and not the other way round. ;)

The living outside thing is mainly to discourage dogs being left long term outside, not suggesting for one minute you would do it but the temptation with an outside dog is to think it's getting physical and mental stimulation because it's out in the fresh air and seeing the world go by but obviously they still require exercise and human contact.

I personally wouldn't mention the idea of the dog being kennelled at all to any rescue because it will put them off. I would go along and visit as many small rescues as you have locally, chat to the workers there, let them get to know you and your partner and see what happens.

I also have a cat with the 6 dogs and they are not separated the cat comes and goes as he pleases and the dogs know damn well to leave him alone otherwise he'll batter them!!!

Go onto Dogs Blog and see what dogs are available in your area and it will also give you a idea of some of the rescues near by too.

9. Leam1307

Thank you for the reply, we are probs a few months off getting a dog anyway, as we go on holiday in Sept so we want to wait until we come back (we usually only go away for long weekends and usually to self catering cottages where you can bring pets)

Im trying to convince OH to move into a larger house with a bigger garden at the moment, so there might be somewhere to add a doggie door so it can get outside. At the moment we have glass doors leading to the backgarden so abit hard to add a door for the dog.

Thank you all for the tips, we will be having a long look into it to make sure we make a good choice for us and the dog.

10. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I wouldn't bother with the web dog checker things they always come up with the wrong breed

11. Leam1307

Yep just noticed that, they keep giving me a beagle as the best dog. lol i seen one called a Basenji which looks quite nice. Meant to be quite quite around the house more like a cat in character, but then again they are energetic dogs when younger.

12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

13. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:lol: Suggested to me English Cocker Spaniel (no way can't stand spaniels!!) or a whippett...well I have a Whippett Lurcher so part right!!!

14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I've done loads of these breed selectors and this is the only one that's given me the breeds I like (and have).

15. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Kept giving me airdale terrier mostly...i'm not a terrier person.

OP-Not sure what dog to sujest but defintly not a sibe, those are super high energy. Maybe a rescue greyhound? not sure but good luck.

16. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Gave me a bracco

17. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

18. hawksport

hawksport Banned

19. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Gave me terriors. Close enough!

OP my dogs dont always stay indoors, I have a large garden and a dog flap for them to go out when they please. However saying that, at the moment I have closed it off and let them out when ever they want to. Due to Missy's behaviour problems. She has dug my garden up 3 times now. So until she stops chewing stuff in doors and we get her naughtiness under control indoors they are not allowed outdoors while im not there. No I dont work, other than a Saturday, even then my OH is home by 12pm.

It sounds like you are doing alot of research. :)

Also JSR is a good person to listen to. Good luck. :thumbup:

20. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice