Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking to get a Beagle

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by n1kk1, Aug 9, 2009.

1. n1kk1

n1kk1 PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I'm Nikki, I'm new to this forum. Looking to get a Beagle puppy.

Was wondering what advice, tips etc anyone had to give about the dog, tried to read up a bit about them.

Was wondering what to do re work, obviously most people who have dogs work full time, I work shifts so would not be left an awful length of time but what is the best thing to do? I'd assume the dog would get used to being in a crate, although it does sound cruel until someone could get to him but between myself, partner and parents it might work out ok?!

2. Trackerbob

Trackerbob PetForums Junior

I personally have 3 beagles, along with 2 bassets and a husky, and also work shifts. From experience, I would recommend that you get 2 beagles as they will keep eachother company, and you will also see a significant difference in behaviour to people with one.

Our first beagle (dog #1) was a destructive nightmare until she had company, and as they are pack animals, this is the case 99% of the time. If you were unwilling to get more than 1 then I would suggest that perhaps the breed isn't for you.

Beagles are very energetic and rewarding dogs, but can be a handful in the house and on the walk if they lack canine company.

Hope this helps!

3. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

Hello!

We have two beagle puppies - max and daisy! They are 5 and a half months old! You will get different people telling you different things ref this! Alot of people said why get two....where as other people have only heard of people getting beagles in pairs! I am really glad we got two!

Although its harder work having two, more expensive, more frustrating, harder to train...its a million times worth it!!! :) I couldnt live without them now! They keep each other company when we arent there and play with each other in the garden. They look out for each other :)

We have had loads of advice from different breeders, trainers and dog owners who have all been so helpfull!

You have to be strict with them and they love food rewards :) we have found training them pretty easy at the moment! they are doing well in the house and in the park, walking and with other dogs. They are even doing pretty well at recall which we are working on :D

Hope this helps?

4. n1kk1

n1kk1 PetForums Newbie

Hi, thanks for your reply, I think you have really put things into perspective. Although i'd love a Beagle, I don't think they would be right for me, not being able to give it quite as much time as it needs.

Can anyone suggest another dog, I am considering a black lab, I recently lost my golden lab, he was my best friend and cannot get over losing him. Labs are brill dogs, so loving. I hope my first boy won't think he's being replaced!! :(

5. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

I definitely think that they need a lot of time! :)

I would have loved a retriever but their fur would make me sneeze all day long :D

Hopefully you will find the perfect puppy :)

6. rona

rona Guest

Have you thought of a rescue dog?
    If you go through the breed rescue, they can match the dog to your circumstances

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice