Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking to buy a baby chinchilla

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Simon Headington, May 19, 2020.

1. Simon Headington

Simon Headington PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone! :) I trying to purchase a baby chinchilla for my girlfriend who is a veterinary nurse who loves animals! Im hoping someone can give me a helping hand too point me in the right direction :) i live around east/west Sussex but I'm willing to travel 2hours max. Looking for either a breeder or possible seller! Before you ask i have already searched the internet and haven't had much luck :(

2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Have you tried rescues? Also I believe chinchillas need to live in pairs thus needing a massive cage

3. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

There are some on the rspca page, I don't know where they're located though.
    It would be best to take their advice with a huge pinch of salt though as they know very little on chinchilla care. Their cage recommendations is a size that doesn't actually exist and is far too big for a chinchilla!
    Chinchillas shouldn't be rehome before 12 weeks so avoid anyone selling younger.
    If you want to locate a breeder contact the national chinchilla society.

It depends on the chinchilla. Many are happy alone with adequate human interaction. They also don't need a huge cage being cave dwelling animals, large spaces can scare them.
    36x18x24"h is a suitable cage for 2-3.
    Always opt for length over height and if it is tall it preferably needs a full level every 24" high.
    Avoid any cage with plastic.
    The best cages are Thickets House and Paul Spooner cages.

ForestWomble likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice