Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking to add to the family. Is it too soon?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by robedha, Aug 23, 2013.

1. robedha

robedha PetForums Member

Beautiful Willow has been with me for just over 2 months now and I'm thinking of getting her a new friend. Willow is around 8 months old and very lively. I have a week off work in September and I'm considering going back to the shelter to adopt another cat.

Do you think it is too soon? Willow settled in pretty much straight away but I'm out of the house for 10 hours every day and feel like she could do with some company.

I'm probably going to go for another queen as I heard they get on quite well. Should I look for an older cat or another young one? Would a cat who seems shy fit in well?

Willow is so friendly when she meets new people and even at the vet she doesn't seem phased by other animals, so I think she'll be ok. It's just the potential new addition I'm worried about fitting in which is why I want to do it when I have time off work.

Apologies for rambling, I just want a little advice. Oh, and here's a photo of Willow the day after I got her to make up for the long post.

Attached Files:

2. ellsbells0123

ellsbells0123 PetForums VIP

I think the sooner the better :D

I have 3, Amber was my first and only girl. Got boys thereafter as she is top cat. I personally would get a kitten.

3. muffin789

muffin789 PetForums Senior

I'd say go for it!! They will be great company for each other :D

And well done for taking on rescue cats :thumbup: All mine have been, and they are just the best reward ever :laugh:

4. robedha

robedha PetForums Member

I never had any doubts about getting rescue cats. I was trying had to fight back the tears when I walked in the shelter and saw all those cats and dogs that no-one wanted.:crying:

5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Kittens are easier to introduce, some females can be quite dominant and prefer a male companion over another girl especially an entire queen compared to a spayed girl.
    Hopefully your girl is spayed being 8 months.

Rescue kittens in foster homes tend to settle in quicker as they're more used to a home environment and other cats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice