Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking into being a Guide dog puppy walker

Discussion in 'Assistance Dogs' started by just-love-dogs, Mar 29, 2011.

1. just-love-dogs

just-love-dogs PetForums Newbie

Hi, I've been thinking alot about being a guide dog puppy walker. I won't apply until later on this year as I have to much going on with family just now but I'm definitely considering to apply September time.

And my DH is also up for it and we are both looking forward to it and are fully committed to the idea. My only real worry is I keep hearing they only accept people from certain areas. And that they don't very often take on people who live around the London area. I can't say if this is true or not its just what I heard. Any advice would be great :001_smile:

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Hi there

The puppy walker of my Molly lived in London, and there's a guide dog team in London, so I don't actually know how true this is.

It's such a lovely thing to do. Believe me, all we guide dog owners think you people are wonderful for the work you put in to help make our dogs what they are. If you do end up doing this, I'd love to hear from you when you get accepted, as I could potentially help out with training tips such as no eye contact with the dog, that will make life much easier for pup and guide dog owner when they are eventually matched. I could also put you in touch with a blind lady who is successfully puppy walking two crazy labs too.

Do let me know how you get on!

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

We had two when we were kids, it was wonderful a bit sad when they left but great to get a pic of them fully qualified & with there owners :) We lived in Lancashire at the time but when we moved to Northumberland we were in the wrong area :( but that was in the 80's

Good luck I hope your sucessful :D

4. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

There is a Lancashire branch...we see training Guide dog pups walking around here all the time!

5. just-love-dogs

just-love-dogs PetForums Newbie

Thank you will keep you all updated with how I get on. I have quite a wait yet before I can apply.

6. JoinTheChase

JoinTheChase PetForums Junior

Hey, I'm a puppy walker. If you have any questions, I'll tell you everything I know lol.

Dally Banjo likes this.
  7. david seth

david seth Banned

its so nice to visit here a nice thread. Am so impressed with your such a good hard work, its definitely a good and diferent idea for others, you guys are doing good work good luck, keep it up..:)

8. Laurengrapes

Laurengrapes PetForums Newbie

I board Guide Dogs that have passed their initial training and are completing the final stages of their advanced training!

Our last dog left on Monday (still a bit raw, but next dog comes in October!), but it is honestly a wonderful thing to do - you can really see the potential in a dog and realise what an excellent aid they are to people with reduced sight.

Definitely enquire to your local branch, even if they are not taking on people straight away, they'll put you on their books for the next litter of puppies if you pass their requirements.

Being a Guide Dog in London is hard work because of the high volume of people etc, so if a puppy is brought up in that environment, they are likely to stand a better chance of being matched with the right kind of handler. Confident London dogs are hard to come by, so I wouldn't worry too much about your location!

If you have any questions feel free to contact me!

9. alanalauren

alanalauren PetForums Newbie

Best of luck to you and have a great future ahead of becoming a professional in puppy walker. Basically, the most important role of a puppy walker is to introduce young dogs to different situations and provide them with love, care and confidence. As far as trainers in London are concerned, there are infinite guide dog puppy walkers out there and they are providing their best services to one and all. So, go ahead :thumbup1:

10. Kraftymo

Kraftymo PetForums Newbie

Hi there I'm Maureen and I am a first time puppy walker for Guide dogs. It is very worthwhile bringing up a puppy but also very hard work and also 24/7. They run puppy classes once a month and you are also under the wing of a puppy supervisor with whom you meet up with ever month and who is always on the end of the phone for any problems.
    Good luck with your application :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice