Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking forward to getting stuck back in

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sairy, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Next Tuesday I will be teaching my first class since having George and I'm looking forward to it. He's 4 months old now and in some sort of routine where he is going to bed at 6ish, meaning I can have a few hours in the evening to do things. I've missed the classes, although up until recently I've felt too much of a zombie to do anything much other than get through each day.

My class next week is only a small one as the puppy room is tiny. I will have three dogs - a cocker, a staffy and a JRT x poodle. It'll be a nice way to ease back in.

I was talking to one of the owners tonight who has a reactive older dog. She has apparently sought advice from a trainer elsewhere who told her to put a check chain on the dog and yank on it every time the dog pulls or lunges :Banghead
    Glad she mentioned it so that I could steer her away from using this person.

There isn't much point to this post really, just fancied a ramble :)

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Takes me back when my children were little I did all dog training stuff in the evening. I can understand that they would have thought dogs hardly need walks etc because I did lots when they were asleep.

Plus it's nice you have a routine with George too. Sounds a good one too. Never get the sense of really late bed times some people have but the last couple of hours usually consists of a baby cry as they are tired; rambling more about friends experiences he needs sleep was always my response but its not even 9. I used to think well that's late for young ones in my mind. They don't last young long but it's such a special age and good to set bedtime routines in from the beginning

Sairy likes this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Well done little George allowing Mum some time in the evening!
    You'll love getting back into it. Good job you could help the person with the reactive dog! Hopefully they won't have got too far into doing what the other trainer says and can rectify it quickly.

Lurcherlad, lullabydream and Sairy like this.
  4. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

They were given that as initial advice and were going to book a session with them. Hopefully now they won't do that (fingers crossed).

Sarah H, Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Good luck being back at work sounds like a lovely little class.

lullabydream and Sairy like this.
  6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

That’s brilliant news. (Bittersweet - George is growing so quickly)
    Sounds ideal and I hope it goes well.
    Thank goodness the lady spoke to you. Doesn’t bear thinking about....

lullabydream likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I always put my daughter to bed fairly early but when she hit school age she suddenly could not sleep and I would usually go to bed before her! It happened overnight and was a really difficult time as she refused to settle and went in and out of her room like a yo yo.

8. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Oh dear, I will make the most of the early bedtimes whilst they last then!

Blitz and lullabydream like this.
  9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

My poor kiddos got dragged to training classes and dog shows from super young LOL
    Another friend, dog trainer, her son is 3, he's been doing the same. When he was a baby she used to post photos of him in a soft dog crate as a cot, and napping at a flyball tournament! Yes, napping!! Can you imagine?! :Hilarious:Hilarious
    The upside is, he got beautifully well socialized as everyone fought over who got to play with the baby while mom was in the ring :)

Mine have had so much dog exposure, and so many classes through osmosis that by 4 or 5 they had better dog sense than most adults. Which is nice when they get older and start going to other kids' houses who have dogs with parents who aren't quite as knowledgeable.

Sairy, JoanneF and lullabydream like this.
  10. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

That's nice. George is going to his first obedience show in April, which is just a one-day event. Then in May he will be going to his first weekend show, where he will stay in the caravan for the first time. Looking forward to it. Who knows, maybe one day he will want to work a dog himself.

lullabydream and O2.0 like this.
  11. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Well, dogs are somewhat cheaper than horses.... :D

12. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

And it'll be an excuse to get another dog ;)

lullabydream and O2.0 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice