Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for support!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jennifer Peffer, May 23, 2017.

1. Jennifer Peffer

Jennifer Peffer PetForums Junior

Hi!
    Bit of a long story but bear with me. About a year ago we decided we wanted a dog to join our family. We weren't sure if we were going to rescue or get a puppy and did lots of research on both. I personally have never lived with a dog. I grew up with loads of animals, just not a dog whereas my husband did.
    Anyway we actually found a rescue and thought she was perfect. She came to live with us but within 3 days it became clear that this dog was seriously unhappy and not the dog we had met with the fosterer. She was being fostered with loads of other dogs but in all our meetings , we never saw this dog with any other animals. Clearly our mistake but we did tell them we wanted a animal friendly dog. Anyway it turned out this dog hated all dogs and other animals and barked and snarled at everything. Honestly it terrified me.
    Fast forward to now and we are hoping to rescue again. We have found a dog who is seriously chilled and we have seen her around dogs, cats and rabbits and she couldn't care less.

The problem is now that I am seriously anxious!! I just feel it's going to be a disaster like last time. I wish I was a more of a dog confident person. Any tips on becoming more confident? This dog is so lovely and I would hate to say no to rescuing her purely because I am now a wuss!

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Are you able to take her on trial. Dogs will vary enormously in different homes (as do all animals) and sometimes problems that you are warned about never show their head and others that have not been a problem in a previous home become insurmountable. If you really want to rescue and have found the right dog there is probably going to be a lot less anxiety for you than getting a pup and all the stress that goes with that.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

I agree, asked if you can bring her home on trial, we did that with Cheeno as we didn't know how he would get on with our other dogs - he stayed for the weekend and never went back as we all fell in love with him.

Try not to stress out as the dog will pick on it, calm breathing and relax, she (or he) will be ok and so will you I am sure.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

However if you can bring home on trial put in the effert to make it work as well.Dont fall back just because it is a trial

5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Just think how much you've learnt from your mistake. I'm quite sure you have been careful enough this time but don't expect everything to be plain sailing, at least or the first few weeks, while you and her settle together as the unit you will become :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice