Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for some advice!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jessnbailey, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Jessnbailey

Jessnbailey PetForums Newbie

Hi people! Me my bf and our dog recently (3wks ago) moved out of his parents house and into our own. Bailey, our golden lab still hasn’t quite settled in since she had gotten used to having his retired parents home with her all day for about 8 months.

Were from Canada and they leave for half the year in the winter, they will be visting for Christmas and we have a funny feeling they will be asking to take bailey during the days while we are at work...

however we don’t see this as fair to bailey since she’s still not used to her own home and we don’t want her to think that she will be going back to live with them...

Opinions!?

2. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

How long is Bailey left for now? If it is for the full day then how about letting his parents take Bailey for half the day or out for a walk in the middle of the day? That way he is not going back to having company all day but it will break up the day for him.

Long term have you considered a dog walker to break up his day?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Jessnbailey

4. Jessnbailey

She is left from 730am-330pm and I take her for about 40min walks before I leave for work in the mornings!

We also find it difficult because we’ve had some boundary issues and they do not respect some of our requests for when they are watching bailey

5. Jessnbailey

She is left from 730am-330pm and I take her for about 40min walks before I leave for work in the mornings!

We also find it difficult because we’ve had some boundary issues and they do not respect some of our requests for when they are watching her

6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I think you should get your own routine and make your own arrangements for your own dog, and if your parents aren’t there anyway for 6 months of the year then are you going to ask Bailey to change his routine every six months, to accommodate them? Doesn’t seem fair on him, to me.

PS. I moved house 6 months ago and my dog is only recently settled and confident in his new home.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. amplecrumlin

amplecrumlin PetForums Member

I'm going to lean the other way; my dogs stay with a neighbour whilst I'm at work. He often does things that I wouldn't do, it can feel like he is undermining their training and setting double standards, but on balance I believe that they have a better life with him in it.
    Of course you haven't given details but my first instinct is to say that if your in-laws want to spend time with Bailey then it's a win for everyone.

Dog Walker Woman likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice