Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for right lizard

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by Harvey Redgrave, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Harvey Redgrave

Harvey Redgrave PetForums Newbie

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me, I, trying to find the right lizard for me. I have owned bearded dragons in the past but found theyre too boring and not right for me, I’d like something that doesn’t just sit there if that makes sense. I have looked into chuckwallas and they look pretty cool, but there’s not too much information surrounding them so would love some insight on them. Space is not an issue so lizards like the Bosc monitor are no issue, although they’re apparently difficult to have if not held regularly. I’ve looked into things like Argentine tegus but I don’t want to buy a lizard that I will regret having in the future. I have also looked into uromastyx and green basilisks but I’m not too knowledgeable on them and the internet doesn’t really have too much information of these sort of animals.

Don’t worry, I won’t buy a lizard without educating myself on them before hand. Hopefully someone can help me.

2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Day geckos can be quite active - very small though so aren't for handling. You'll have most luck with diurnal species.

Bosc Monitors are very expensive to house and keep correctly - they need a minimum 8ft x 4ft x 4ft enclosure (bigger is always better) with a minimum 12 inches deep topsoil and sand mix substrate in order to hold burrows - which is extremely heavy. They also need a diet entirely of insects - without either they won't live very long, they'll be prone to obesity, kidney and liver issues which will reduce their lifespan. Boscs sadly are one very mistreated reptile with many not being cared for correctly. They need to be able to burrow and only eat insects, which will prove expensive if you don't breed your food for them.

Harvey Redgrave likes this.
  3. Harvey Redgrave

Thanks for replying, I’ve had a bit of experience with crested geckos as I looked after my mates when he went on holiday, they were cool but too small for me, I’m looking for the sort of lizard I can let roam around my room without worrying I’ll lose them. I’m obviously going to save a descent amount before any of this so it wouldn’t be a problem to start a colony of Dubias or crickets before hand, but like you said I don’t want to do anything wrong and mistreat it because I jumped right into the deep end. Have you any knowledge on chuckwallas or Egyptian uromastyx? I know the uromastxy is similar size to the Bosc monitor but I don’t know if the requirements are similar. I know yo7 can get the smaller ones, and if they’d be better. Thanks

4. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

IMO a reptile to roam isn't very practical - unless it's only supervised for a short amount of time.

Uromastyx would need a similar size enclosure - very different diet. If you go for a smaller species, they would still benefit from having a large enclosure but you could go smaller.

Uros, Chuckwalla, Boscs and Tegus would all require a large basking area - you will probably need multiple bulbs together to provide a large basking area without having hotspots that could burn the reptile and UV lighting. The main difference would be basking temps, diet and humidity requirements.

Even with handling - they are large lizards, a bite or scratch in some cases is going to hurt. Learn about their behaviour - it'll give you some warning as to when they're annoyed or not.

5. Harvey Redgrave

Of course only for short amounts of time, my house temps are not ideal normally ranging from 20 - 30 degrees Celsius. I’d obviously warm the house up a bit before bringing them out, but I’d like to give them the option of leaving their enclosure, with supervision. If I did go for a bigger lizard I’d make sure to handle them regularly and research into taming methods. Thank you for your help and I’m going to be making regular trips to a private reptile store near me for voluntary work to further understand these lizards. I know they have Bosc monitor and a few black and white argentine tegus that I can learn about. Thanks

6. Esty_394

Esty_394 PetForums Newbie

Uromastyx and beardies are pretty much the same level of docility I think. Have you considered an ackie monitor? They’re pretty small but they’re active and exciting to watch (like tiny velociraptors) and I think they’re fairly handleable as well. I’d also recommend Gidgee skinks - they’re really cool looking and friendly and active but they’re near impossible to find because no one really breeds them, not sure why.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice