Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for reassurance

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Monty&Theo, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Monty&Theo

Monty&Theo PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I'm about to adopt two ragdoll boys. I've been doing a lot of research on how and what to feed kittens and adult cats.
    The boys have so far been brought up on Royal Canin wet and dry food for kittens. I will continue with this initially as I believe im correct in saying that it's a good idea for them to eat something familiar for both digestive and mental health.

I would like to get them off the dry food as soon as they're adult as I have seen some of the horror stories regarding dry food.

I have looked on this forum and seen the very impressive post which shows off all the good wet food available from Zooplus.

My problem is that I don't recognise the brands at all and as such I don't feel confident buying them.
    The wet foods that I have my eye on are Animonda Carny, Feringa Classic and Bozita.

Could anyone offer some thoughts on these three choices?
    Any other feeding tips or even tips in general would be appreciated too.

Thank you for reading.
    Kind regards,
    Mark.

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Monty&Theo
    Hi,
    Animonda Carny is a good food but not one I feed. I sometimes use Animonda Vom Feinsten.
    Bozita is good, I like that it comes in tetra packs but can be a bit heavy on the gravy or jelly, as part of a rotation it is fine but I would not feed exclusively.
    Feringa is supposed to be very good but not available in my area so I have not tried it with my cats.
    From Zooplus I have seen recommended Rosie's Farm.
    Also if you can get them, Almo Nature mousse is good and Wild Freedom.

3. Monty&Theo

Thank you for your reply.
    I really appreciate your advice. When rotating between different foods, do you still phase it in over a week even if they've eaten the brand before?
    I'll look into those alternatives that you have suggested.

Thank you.

4. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Monty&Theo
    Hi,
    My two are both adults and I usually feed a different food at each meal.
    In the past, my now two year old would finish a pouch of Meowing Heads in one sitting while he was growing and now I usually spilt a pouch for a meal between both - 100g.

They are given food four/five times per day and food left overnight. All wet food.
    I don't rotate on a weekly basis but on a meal basis.
    With kittens, I would introduce each new food slowly and once you see they are fine on it to continue it in their diet. If you take a few days off a particular brand it should be fine.

I would start with one new food at a time for kittens and rather than feed a full portion to start, just a teaspoon or so along with their current food is usually recommended.

Until they get a bit older (around six months) , I would probably keep them on just two or three brands.
    Feeding the same brand/flavor for more than one meal in a row is fine. And with kittens I would give less variety than adults.
    But good to get them used to different food textures/tastes as kittens, so less chance of them becoming picky eaters as adults.

I think you can phase out the dry food before they are adults.
    I leave out wet food overnight for mine, I just open a new tin before I go to bed and when they wake they eat it, which is usually earlier than I am awake, around five or so in the morning.
    You can also get auto feeders or microchip feeders if you prefer.

chillminx likes this.
  5. Willsee

Willsee PetForums Member

Mine are fed almost completely on Feringa, the pure meat version the Lamb, Rabbit and Veal varieties. Up until they were around 10 months old it was the kitten version but didn’t transition well to the adult mixed meat flavours, since found out they don’t like anything which started life with feathers, so my choice of food is very limited :(.

Feringa is quite a dense pate and a lot of cats are not too keen on this but thankfully mine love it :).

6. Bigsize9foot

Bigsize9foot PetForums Member

My 3 cats are fed on a mix of carny, bozita, and smilla tins. I find the Bozita tetrapaks give them smelly poops so avoid it. But the tins seem fine. I alternate tons and flavours as my oldest female gets fed up. The kittens eat anything!

when my kittens were being introduced to the food I gave them a forkful of the new food combined with their existing and slowly built it up till they could tolerate a full bowl of it then introduced the next food a fork at a time. I try and alternate brands daily due to the boss cat turning her nose up at anything fed repeatedly.

B

7. Monty&Theo

Thank you all for your reply and good advice! @Summercat @Willsee @Bigsize9foot
    Bozita was on my short list of foods to go for but i have seen some people say that their cats don't care for it, that it sometimes is more sauce than meat and now smelly poops! I might not go for that one for now.
    Smilla sounds so good that i'm almost wondering if i should be eating it!

Once again thank you all so much for your replies.
    I will be keeping an eye on zooplus to see which foods they keep stocking in the UK after Brexit.

Bigsize9foot and Summercat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice