Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for others with a border collie / pinscher cross

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by James in Sweden, Mar 22, 2020.

1. James in Sweden

James in Sweden PetForums Newbie

Hello! Following my introduction in post #5032 / page 252 of the Snapshot from your day thread (sorry - I'm too new here to post a link) I'm creating a new thread to ask if you or someone you know has a similar mix to Guillam, a border collie / pinscher cross.

Guillam is nine months old and now a week into his new life with us in Västerbotten county, in the north of the country. He had two loving but unhappy homes before us, so we are working hard to help him use his mighty intelligent mind and strong body in a better way. So far, so good, but we know it's a long journey.

We would love to connect with anyone who has experience of a similar cross, so we can share experiences and thoughts about the right way to train him and the right way to keep him happy and stimulated.

Thanks in advance!

lUxqb2d2SXCMQS7CnDI1BA.jpg

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum.

My daughter has taken on many rescues over the years and pretty much all of them have been Border Collie crosses. She's had GSD/BC, Retriever/BC, Spaniel/BC, Terrier/BC and some we haven't been able to figure out. At the moment she has a 14 yr old Terrier/BC, a 3 yr old GSD/BC and very recently acquired a Romanian rescue aged abut 7 months, who has already had 3 homes here in the UK since arriving as a puppy. We think he is sheepdog/GSD. They are all simply pets but in the past she has competed with quite a number of them in heelwork to music/agility/competitive obedience.

3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Hi! He's a handsome boy.
    I've got a BC and have had BC crosses. I also know a good few German Pinschers (my boss is in the show world). Feisty things! Nice dogs but still quite 'worky' in terms of temperament, you'd not want to get on the wrong side of one. One I know is a right cracker, but he has had BOB at Crufts a couple of times and is an International Champion.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Pinschers are few and far between in the UK. There are plenty of Dobermans, and quite a few Miniature Pinschers, but not a lot of the middle size; I don't think I've ever seen one.
    I used to have a BC x Jack Russell/Parson Russell terrier, who was very trainable but madly obsessed with team ball games - she came to me as a rescue. I did agility and some obedience with her and she did well. As long as there wasn't a ball game going in within about half a mile - if there had been, she'd leg it out of the ring to join in.

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have also had a collie cross Jack Russell. She was ball obsessed too, great for being goalie in football games. She was very trainable and even though she had no sheep instinct whatsoever I taught her to drive and put through gateways. The terrier bit sent her walkabout a few times after rabbits.

6. James in Sweden

James in Sweden PetForums Newbie

Thanks all for your comments! The longer we spend with him the more we think he might be more than 50% pinscher... I might be tempted by a DNA test one day but for now I'm just focusing on the day to day. He's made huge progress in about 10 days with us, but we need to work hard on his leash training because here in Sweden the burden on responsibility on the owner is much greater - it's very rare to ever see a dog, even a well trained older dog, walking without a leash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice