Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for new cat, advice needed

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kara1985, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Kara1985

Kara1985 PetForums Junior

Hiya,

We got a kitten in may who is now a mad 5 month old now. And we are now thinking of getting another kitten to keep sooty company and to have a companion. Sooty is male (being spayed next month) we want to know what sex works best together? Should we add another male or female? Like all animals certain sexs get on best with each other. Is this the same with cats?
    Thanks
    Kara

2. izzyc

izzyc PetForums Junior

I should think a neutered male would get on fine with either another neutered male or a female. In my experience it's two females that don't get on so well!!

3. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

I think it depends on the personality of the cats, all cats are different.

I have 2 boys aged 8 yo and 15 months old and they get on quite well, Frank can be a bit grumpy sometimes. My Sister has 2 females with a 3 year age gap and they also get on well :)

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

It really does depend on the cats themselves. I have two girls who adore each other. I have sold kittens to homes with cats of them same sex and the opposite sex and there has never been any trouble between them after the initial meetings.

5. Kara1985

Great thanks. I guess I just don't want problems with introducing a new cat to the house that won't get along.
    Sooty thinks he rules the roost anyway lol but he's just a normal mad 5 month old cat, whose into everything. Just would like a new cat for him to have a companion really and to play with.

6. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Are you sure he is only 5 months old ? How old was he in May :confused:

7. Durhamchance

Durhamchance PetForums VIP

Yes, I found this strange! Darcy is 5 months old but she was born in May! :blink:

8. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

I think doing the introductions properly is more important than the genders involved!!

9. smiler84

smiler84 PetForums VIP

i had to read that about 10 times before i figured out what you meant :eek: (counting on fingers and everything!!)

10. Kara1985

Just re read my first post and can see the confusion lol I got him in july time
    Yes so he is 5 months lol he was born 10th may :)
    Sorry for confusion

#10 Kara1985, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  11. Cherbe3

Cherbe3 PetForums Member

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread, but I had a quick question. It's only been four months but I am getting broody for another, I won't until after Christmas though, but I was wondering what is the deal with introducing Louie (2years+) to another cat? I personally can't get a kitten, I've never been a fan of tiny cats (I know, big weirdo!) and also there are so many older cats who are unloved, but could I bring an older cat home or would that cause issues with dominance and such?

12. spid

spid PetForums VIP

13. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I think really, you have to view and get to know potential new cats, then choose based on the personality that would best fit with your little man. Forget sexes as they tell you nothing about how well they'll get on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice