UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
time to stop work and start playing
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been involved in raising awareness amongst owners of mini wire dachshunds for some time.

I am currently gathering information on mini wire dachshunds with specific unexplained symptoms such as jerking/startle behaviour, fitting, apparent blindness, particularly from the age 5 years old upwards. It appears that many vets do not recognise that one or more of these symptoms may be a sign of Lafora, an inherited form of epilepsy that is present in up to 40% of UK mini wires and may clinically affect up to 10% of them (it could equally be something else, so don't assume the worst!). I am trying to establish just how many vets would recognise these symptoms as a possible sign of lafora as well as what is the spread of the age of onset of the symptoms and their severity. If you know anyone that currently owns or has ever owned a mini wire with any of these symptoms, could you please ask them to get in touch with me via the Pet Forum or via the laforadogs.org website ASAP. Thank you very much.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.