Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for local dog friendly swimming areas

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Larainne Miles, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Larainne Miles

Larainne Miles PetForums Newbie

I have a 1 year old female Border Collie and we tried her for the first time in water, not quite swimming, more splashing around. We went to Foots Cray Lake, Sidcup, Kent.
    It was good for her and probably will go again now that she is more obedient.
    Does anyone know of any other local safe swimming areas for dogs?
    I live South East London, closer to Dartford, Kent than London itself.

2. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

By coincidence I live in the same area as you so know of a few places nearby. Footscray meadows (Five Arches) is nice for paddling but it isn't particularly deep.

Hall Place in Crayford is good for swimming too.

There is a dog pond at Jeskyns country park which is 2 mins from the A2, between the junctions for Gravesend east & Cobham / Shorne. On the other side of the motorway there is also a dog swimming pond at Shorne country park.

Just as an aside but you may have heard last year warnings about Brookfield Lake in Dartford and the dog deaths due to blue green algae in the water so please bear this in mind particularly in ponds and lakes.

3. Larainne Miles

Thanks for the info. I heard that Jeskyns is still water and that I should avoid all places with still water. I was recommended Five Arches which is where we went today as it was running water.

Is it running water at Shorne country park or Hall Place, Crayford?

I had heard about that incident with dog deaths and that is why I have been advised to stick to running water only.

The only other option is a long drive to the coast (beach) but where is the best place and dog friendly?

4. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

The dog ponds at Jeskyns and Shorne are both still water but the people who run the park will put up signs advising owners of its unsafe to let dogs swim. This will normally be because there is this dangerous blue green algae visible in the pond. Whenever we go to Jeskyns and Shorne the ponds are clear with lots of dogs splashing about safely.

Hall Place is a continuation of the river Cray so similar but I think slightly deeper and narrower.

There are some fab beaches in Kent; Joss Bay & Minnis Bay in Thanet spring to mind, also a couple of beaches on Sheppey are good too, but stoney.

Bewl Water in Lamberburst nr Tunbridge Wells is a massive reservoir which is quite far from you but worth a trip as it's such a nice walk. Also Leybourne Lakes in Snodland is good for swimming but again quite far from you.

Hope that helps

5. Larainne Miles

Thanks for all the advice, will look forward to trying some come Summer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice