Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for Labs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by grandmaschickensalad, Mar 23, 2011.

1. grandmaschickensalad

grandmaschickensalad PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I'm currently researching labradors with a view to getting my first over the summer.
    I'm particularly struck on the chocolate variety, but have come across silver labs too? So beautiful!

Does anyone know of any UK breeders, just so I could check some out before making a decision?

Many Thanks

2. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

I haven't had any personal experience with this breeder, but apparently they are one of the founding members of the kennel club accredited scheme! They breed Chocolate labs and Golden retrievers and are based in Sussex.

Hurstbrook Golden Retrievers and Chocolate Labradors

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

There's no such thing as silver Labs, and anyone breeding them is simply in it for the cash, there are only black, yellow and chocolate. Unfortunately, chocolate Labradors are a victim of puppy farming, huge amounts of them are bred and sold as pets, without any thought to whether the two dogs used in the mating are suitable. Health testing aside, both dogs need to have good conformation and temperament, chocolate Labs are very prone to cruciate problems because of conformation issues, so many are bred without knowledge of the problems that can be exacerbated by too straight a stifle or knee.

If you would like some help to find a good breeder near to you, then I will look through kennels and pedigrees for you, to give you a hand.

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I would be very wary of someone who only breeds for colour, whether or not they are a member of the ABS; as I've said, the vast majority of chocolate Labs are bred for the pet market, the name makes them more popular. I'd have to be very convinced their dogs were proven, why they only breed for the chocolate colour, and see that their dogs were good proven examples of the breed.

Edited to add, just had a look on their website and they don't breed exclusively for chocolate, but I know a couple of ABS breeders who do unfortunately.

#4 Sleeping_Lion, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  5. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

Yeah, I thought they didn't breed for chocolate exclusively. They seem to be saying all the right things on the website - though, of course, this alone doesn't mean they are trustworthy or will share your ethics.

Good to know about the Chocolate colour issues though Sleeping_Lion. I shall make a mental note of that.

6. grandmaschickensalad

grandmaschickensalad PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much sleeping lion :)

I'm new to this and any help is much appreciated.

I'm from Derbyshire. I dont really have a clue on how to track down the right kind of breeder.

I've been reading up on hip/elbow scores and eye tests that reputable breeders should provide evidence of. But I'd have no idea on how to spot a dud?

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I've helped a few people find good breeders for Labs, it's so easy to get the wool pulled over your eyes. Swarthy's website, Welcome to Labrador Health is a good place to start for anyone looking for a puppy. It explains the health tests and the need to see original paperwork etc, and also has a few stories of pups from byb's etc, where health, conformation and temperament weren't thought about.

These are my two, they're half sisters and the paler one could be passed off as 'silver' by an unscrupulous breeder.

[​IMG]

8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I've pm'd you details of a litter currently available ;)

9. Squeeze

Squeeze PetForums VIP

Gorgeous...!

10. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Thank you, funnily enough, I've got a few photos stored on photobucket just to show the range of shades one chocolate Labrador can be, these are all my own bitch, Tau, who is not only pale, but bleaches in sunlight. She can look yellow, silver, champagne, and sometimes, even chocolate, some of the pics are with her big sis, Indie, who is a lovely dark chocolate shade......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

wow your dogs r beautiful :)

12. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Thanks, I'm biased, but I think they're rather wonderful too :)

13. shells

shells PetForums VIP

i have a chocolate lab hes so loving. although mine was origanaly a rescue dog

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice