Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for jobs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by simplysardonic, Oct 8, 2013.

1. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

As many of you on here know, I'm looking for a job at the moment. I'm applying for between 2 & 6 a day, am signed up for Monster, Reed, Universal Jobmatch, NHS & the county & district council websites, plus I have dozens of the job pages for local & national businesses websites such as the UEA, Research Park, various retail & supermarkets.

I'm applying for a diverse range of jobs & many of them have 'experienced' or 'proven record in.....' & similar in their criteria, but I've been applying for them anyway, although I'm not sure if it's worth me bothering.

My CV is a pitiful thing, most of my life I've been a housewife/parent or a student, & I know my nervousness around new people & environments makes me a poor interviewee.

Not sure what advice I'm looking for, I'm just frustrated as so far I've only secured 3 interviews since June & I'm beginning to lose heart. Most employers don't respond, which is fair enough as I know jobs are sought after & a lot of people are applying, but I know that I have a lot to offer & where I lack in experience I make up for in honesty, keenness to learn & transferable skills.

2. metame

metame PetForums VIP

that's funny (weird not haha) i was gonna do a thread just bout looking for a job,

I'm sick of it, I've been looking since March and like you noone gets back to me. I've had three interviews too since March and not got any of the jobs.

I just want a job, my anxiety makes me a bad interviewee though, I try my best I just lose it and I don't know what else to do.

sorry, not the reply you were looking for I just jumped on your thread

3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

No, it's all good, it's reassuring to know there's others out there TBH :eek: feel free to sound off on here :)

4. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

If you want I can take a look at CV format etc.

See where you could pad it out?

cjs.co.uk and environmentjob are good for sometimes having internships (paid) advertised for environmental/wildlife and conservation jobs

as is stopdodo :)

5. metame

metame PetForums VIP

don't say that because I will. Lol...

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Ooh thanks, I'll have a look at those, although my area is Animal Science I very nearly took Conservation instead :)

7. Bloodraine5252

Bloodraine5252 PetForums Senior

Hey
    Looking for a job is hard, I've recently just got one after applying for a shed load!

Have a look at your CV. You've been a parent/housewife and not been in a job but that doesn't mean you haven't been working. Think of the skills you use as a parent, time management , prioritising tasks, organisational skills..

You have to remember that you have transferable skills that you can use in the work place. Even if its meeting new people through nursery clubs etc.

Make your personal statement thing sell these skills you've learnt.

I've got a document that may help you, its Shells guide to writing a CV and does have some good advice in it. Or I could have a look at it for you and see if I can come up with some suggestions?

Good luck x

8. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

want a 3am start saturday?

no, nor me....lol

9. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

Animal science isn't too far a stretch ;)

Depending on the job- (if academic/research) I put a paragraph at start of my research interests- or a personal statement

I always have section on skills and experience- this is as simple as clean , full driving licence to Microsoft office and software etc.

10. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

Totally- they always want clear communication skills- sell it ;)

11. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

I think that the way they don't even reply is disheartening, but I suppose when they have many applicants, it's to be expected.

What would you both like to do in the ideal world? See this as your long term goal, and anything else along the way as the steps towards it.

SS, you hit on the important thing - transferable skills. If you wrote down all your skills as a mum you'd be amazed. Make sure they are all included in your CV. Include any voluntary work/organisations you were involved in too.

Is there anywhere locally that you could volunteer - charity shop/ primary school/Riding for Disabled/rescue/pre-school/church luncheon for OAPs? There's all sorts around. You could get involved and use it to build up some experience and confidence.

I think the most important thing about each job application is to personalise it to each job, rather than send out the same letter each time. Even if it means applying for fewer jobs, the application would stand out more.

It might also be worth getting some advice to check that your CV stands up well alongside others.

As for interview nerves, they are inevitabable. Perhaps apply for a few jobs that you aren't really bothered about, and if you are offered an interview, treat is as practice. Might take the pressure off a bit.

Good luck in the search.

12. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

Just wanted to add- try BIAZA also for jobs and vacancies- sometimes they have all kinds of things...

With regards to volunteering, think about the jobs you want and what you're applying for- make sure your volunteering is going to benefit you (sounds cynical but you want a job so for now think carefully)

For example, if you're lacking official public engagement/youth work/childrens education- work with a local charity that needs volunteers for community based activities in spreading their message- such as RSPB, wildlife trusts or local shelter education programmes.

Yeah we'd all rather be doing the more fun stuff, but you'll be surprised how much this kind of thing will go moreso in your favour- a friend recently applied for dogstrust and she went into interview ready with all her animal knowledge- they asked her so many questions about the organisation, how it is run, how they would engage with the public etc. etc.

Make sure at this stage volunteering is filling gaps- don't be afraid to ask employers what they'd prefer to see more of on your CV.

If you do get replies, even negative ask for feedback!

13. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Believe in yourself and stay positive and that will reflect in your interviews. Remember, even if an interview doesn't "go well", the more you do it, the better you will become at interviews. It's like public speaking. I've always been terrified, but after having to do it as part of my job, it becomes easier. I now think nothing of addressing a large group of people or speaking in meetings, even if the big bosses are there.
    Good luck, I am positive you will find something soon, just don't give up.

14. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I can only suggest not just looking for job vacancys but also go onto company websites like banks, stores anywhere really etc they usually have a career section on joining the team. Ive been doing that with banks since I tossed my course in cos that is where I wanna work next.

15. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Sometimes it is necessary to have 2 or 3 cv`s for different types of jobs

The job centre should arrange for someone to see your cv and they should be able to arrange for someone to interview you to let you know what mistakes you are making, this can be very positive when it comes to the real thing

16. Cheryl89

Always happy to review CV's here to if anyone wants me to.

I'm a qualified Legal Secretary and studied CV's for about a year to find out what ticks for employers (yes okay it was 5 years ago) but alot of people turn to me to update their CVs...including work colleagues ...and still to this day too :lol: So I'm more then happy to help anyone out if they wish.

Otherwise use the normal job sites - totaljobs.com, reed.co.uk, hays.com, brookstreet and also google for agents who look on behalf of you, this makes your job hunting go alot smoother.

Although some people might disagree with agents but they've always been great for me :001_tt1: xx

17. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Isn't it a poor reflection on what's happening when you need a load of bullshit to get an interview :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What do most CVs show other than you think a lot of yourself or you are good at lying :( :(

18. Cheryl89

Hey Rona,

I think the main thing for employers is experience. Once you've got that, then you do not really need to worry about your qualifications (Unless you're applying for a specific job of course)

I think having the 3 seperate CV idea is good, I mean in my current role I am a "finance, logistics and planning project co-ordinator" so I can break that down into 3 seperate CVs if I wanted to do something specific in Logistics for example

Hope you're okay :) xx

Good luck SS, keep trying hun and don't be disheartened - mwah :001_tt1: xx

19. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

Sadly this is true, same with interviews... I have been told some of the most useless of my colleagues shone on paper and in the interview room - they know how the system works and play to it. In real work life though ; they are useless!!

ETA I have always been told I have a good CV and interview well so Im not sure if that makes me a bullsh*tter too! Im brutally honest in mine and very open about what I dont know, or havent done (followed by, "I learn fast though so Im not too worried about it" :p - I just have an advantage over most of my competition as I have the vocational skill as well as acedemic and experiance)

#19 grumpy goby, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  20. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

You'd be surprised and i DEFO don't mean SS here...

I've had CVs in for jobs where despite having spellcheck basic english and use of grammar is missing- what good is that when hiring someone who needs to write reports- fail!
    A suite of equipment was a 'sweet' of equipment- just one of many mistakes.

Many jobs reject the use of CVs as they are keen to see what attention to detail people can direct from a job spec for a cover letter or their own self-styled application form.

Cvs are not to show off, but you definitely need to set yourself from the outset with a good self-belief and appreciation for your own abilities.

if you don't believe in yourself, why should an employer... also a real biggie is putting things on no matter how small they seem- really can make the difference, remember people will not assume your abilities based on a job title/life experience you really need to put it down there :)

BUT i do agree buzzwords etc need to be put to bed- cannot stand all that BS :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice