Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for help with Bengal colour genetics

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Sophie Eglinton, May 7, 2019.

1. Sophie Eglinton

Sophie Eglinton PetForums Newbie

Hi all.

I recently purchased an absolutely fantastic snow bengal tomcat. I have another bengal mix tomcat on the way in.

A friend of mine is wanting to breed one of her cats to one of my Bengal boys before they are castrated, but I’m having a difficult time letting her know which colour the kittens will have.

My spotted Snow Lynx Bengal doesn’t have lines with him, but has a registered name.

My Bengal Mix has a spotted brown Bengal for a mother, and a brown tabby for a father.

The Female cat to be bred to is black, with a chocolate tortie Rag-doll for a mother and an unknown cat as the father.

I would have thought that the snow lynx’ genes would be better carried, seeing as the golden bengal mix has some tabby in there.

I had never been interested in breeding, so I don’t know an awful lot about genetics apart from A-Level biology!

Attached Files:

#1 Sophie Eglinton, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
  2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Please say no to your friend. All this breeding of one type of cat to another is not to be advised, especially not mixing Bengal & Ragdoll both of which have inherited problems with heart disease.

Instead please get your boys neutered before they realise they are boys. 4 months is what's currently advised, and your friend would do best by far for her girl to get her spayed ASAP. Each time she calls her risk of developing breast cancer goes up a bit, and each time she calls she risks pyometra, a potentially fatal infection of the uterus. There are also plenty of risks for her in bearing and raising.

3. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Don't breed either of them. Neither of them are registered and they won't add anything to the breed. Neuter them, and have them live as happy, much loved pets

4. Sophie Eglinton

Sophie Eglinton PetForums Newbie

Thank you kindly for your view. It is certainly in my plans to castrate both of my boys.

The kittens were to all be kept by my friend, and so she had not planned on ever selling the kittens at any point in their lives. She is interested in Bengals for their temperament and their look is a simple bonus for her. The kittens would never be bred to and they would only be kept as her pets for life.

Would the kittens therefore be an issue to the breed standard if they are never to be bred to and are only kept privately as pets?

5. Raggie08

Raggie08 PetForums Member

Please get them castrated now, there is no reason to have a one off litter, the boys once they reach that age may start spraying and that's a habit you will struggle to get them out off and is not nice to experience. Your friend needs to spay her girl as she is risking her life letting her remain entire. Plenty of cats in rescue that she could adopt if she wants another cat.

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

You and your friend are putting two breeds with know heart problems together, and exposing the female to the risks of calling, kittening and lactation. The male can obe hurt during mating as the females sometimes turn on them
    To me, that's selfish when you are producing yet more crossbred moggies. Especially if starting without the financial wherewithal to manage should a c section and/or treatment for mastitis be required.

Raggie08 likes this.
  7. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

There's no telling what the temperament of the kittens, or look, would be with that mix. Get them all neutered and just love them as the pets they are.
    If she likes Bengal's they're popping up in rescue more and more or she could look for a responsible breeder who does the necessary health tests.

8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I can see absolutely no point in this proposed breeding to a mixed breed female with unknown parentage.
    As already said, both breeds are susceptible to heart problems so a mating is more likely toproduce affected kittens.
    If your friend wants a Bengal Kitten or cat get her to look for a rescue cat who fits the bill but there is no justification in producing a potentially sickly, mixed breed litter of littens. Colours are irrelevant.
    Please read all the excellent advice you've been given.

9. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Your kittens are not Bengals, and with such a mix of heritage between both your boys' parents and the girl's parents, there is no guarantee of the Bengal personality.

It is kinder on all 3 cats to neuter them all. Perhaps your friend would be better being a foster for a rescue instead

10. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

I will just add I have currently a bill for my queen and her 3 week old kittens that is around £2k for pregnancy related complications and thankfully her c-section was in hours.
    Could they afford this? I had a savings account for this very reason. It would likely have been nearer £3k if the c-section had been done out of hours.

#10 lillytheunicorn, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    lymorelynn likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice