Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for Breeders of captive bred red squirrels in the UK

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by PandaBaird12, May 2, 2017.

1. PandaBaird12

PandaBaird12 PetForums Junior

We own a large open farm spread over 70 acres in county Antrim NI, and have a 20 acre forest aswell as a smaller orchard and since the farm is already well protected from predators we thought it would be an ideal area to try and reestablish the red squirrel in the region over the coming years, after reading through the legality side of things it's ok to own a captive bred red squirrel and also ok to release it providing the area's grey squirrel population is being kept under control and if there are already a few wild reds living there, as long as they are gradually and safely weaned into the wild, does anyone know of a UK based breeder to contact about purchasing?

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

I have no idea where you might find a red squirrel breeder but I think its an awesome thing to want to do! :)

If I were you I would contact Rewilding Britain for advice reintroducing reds - http://www.rewildingbritain.org.uk/about/our-people. Have you considered reintroducing pine martens as well? Although they are natural predators of red squirrels they actually help them by eradicating grey squirrels.

George Monbiot has done a great article on the subject :) https://www.theguardian.com/environ...t-firing-a-shot-pine-martens?CMP=share_btn_fb

PandaBaird12 and Babyshoes like this.
  3. PandaBaird12

PandaBaird12 PetForums Junior

Great, Thanks for that info Noushka!

noushka05 likes this.
  4. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

You're most welcome :) I hope you'll keep us updated, I'd love to hear how you get on :)

5. Mercgirl

Mercgirl PetForums Member

What an awesome idea! I've been lucky enough to see red squirrels in the wild, on Anglesey, and they are truly beautiful.

I wish you every success!

noushka05 likes this.
  6. Steve Atkins

Steve Atkins PetForums Newbie

Did you have any luck finding a supplier of Red Squirrels. We would like to do the same thing in Argyll.

7. Steve Atkins

Hi
    Did you have any luck finding a supplier ?

8. Steve Atkins

Did you have any luck finding a supplier ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice