Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for best raw alternative

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Adilad, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Adilad

Adilad PetForums Junior

Hi my 17 month dogo has been raw fed for around a year now but my new job is making it harder to get/store it with not having a set day off to work around. So I'm looking at putting him on a high quality kibble. Now, dry used to go through him (Harringtons) and so assume he may have a grain intolerance so looking really for hypoallergenic food. I've looked into tails and they want £66 a month for 19kg and that seems quite pricey, so I'm looking for advice/recommendations for a good replacement

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Tails isn't as customised as they would have you believe - if you ask for certain ingredients to be included or omitted they can't do it because it's basically just a mix of what they have.

Gentle (it's not grain free, although it is gluten free) is formulated to be fed alongside raw but I don't believe the 'don't mix' issue is as much of a concern as some people would insist - we eat meat and veg together and digest them at different rates and a dog's system is tougher than ours. Happy to be corrected by people who know better though!

https://www.gentledogfood.co.uk

Torin. and wee man like this.
  3. Adilad

Adilad PetForums Junior

Yeah a mix to add isn't really the answer I'm looking for, especially from experience the price to weight ratio is more than kibble itself

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It's not a mix, sorry I described it badly. It's a complete food, so you can easily feed raw when it suits you and have this on hand for when you can't get raw.

Torin. and wee man like this.
  5. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Although I feed raw I always keep a bag of "Millies Wolfheart" as a standby. Millies is a grain free complete product, and because our lot eat a lot of meat I only buy their lowest meat content 40/60 "Forerunner", crude protein 20%, (12kg £30.99 which includes delivery). Their poo's never change and they remain very firm whenever they may get a feed of kibble (just out of the blue) :rolleyes:.

niamh123 likes this.
  6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I feed raw but always have Acana to hand and it's grain free ,it does seem quite expensive but you feed a lot less of it compared to other foods:)

Adilad and wee man like this.
  7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Have a look at Eden (working varieties). Grain free, UK made. The Country Cuisine suits my dog best and my son has noticed his dog is better on it as well. Expensive to buy but small daily amount and we’ve both found we need less than recommended. I add a bit of Butchers tinned tripe to make it more interesting.
    You can get the same as Tails a lot cheaper and much better food for the same money.
    Have a look at allaboutdogfood website. It’s a good guide to help you choose.

Adilad likes this.
  8. Adilad

Adilad PetForums Junior

My boys 45kg so puts plenty away like, he's an XL bully x so needs alot of protein for his muscle mass

9. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

There are lots of foods that you could try that are a good equivalent to raw. Millies Wolfheart, Eden, Platinum, Wolf of Wilderness, Purizon, etc. If you have a look on Zooplus they have a massive range of high protein dry or semi-moist food. It is quite expensive though, especially for your big lad, but I'd have thought similar in price to raw considering how much you must need to feed. Just be aware that if you feed too much it will go straight through him so you may need to play around with quantities for a bit, and stick to one brand for a while before you decide to switch if he's not doing well on it.

Adilad likes this.
  10. Adilad

Adilad PetForums Junior

nice one I'll have a look now. he gets 2x 454g a day of raw at min and he doesnt really do well with fatty food having not had it in his diet, looking at some kibbles and theyre quite high in fats so unsure as to whether it will affect him

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice