Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for any needy lone rat

Discussion in 'Small Animal Rescue and Adoption' started by ceretrea, Apr 16, 2011.

1. ceretrea

ceretrea PetForums Senior

Single male rat wanted to pair up with a single rescue buck. With a view to a paired intro to my larger group of 10 bucks. They currently live in a Furet Tower.

Southampton area or local. Or further afield if transport can be arranged as I have no car.

2. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

A pair of babies will probably be easier to intro to him. He won't see them as a threat, where as he may see an older male as a threat.

Have you had a look in your local RSPCA? Mine almost always has rats in.

3. ceretrea

He's only 5 months old himself. He will be intro'ed to my larger group but I'd rather get him bonded to a similar aged male first as pairs go into larger groups a bit easier. It can be done as a single but a pair is more ideal.

I wouldn't want a male too much older then him, not because he would have problems but my older boys may take issue.

I wouldn't touch my local RSPCA with a 10ft barge pole, they don't have lots of rats in in any case. There's always the Blue Cross, could try giving them a bell.

4. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

Sorry, when I hear the words 'lone rescue rat' I usually think about a 2 year old buck that's been living on his own since he was bought. As he's only a baby himself intro's should be easy.

Are you a member on the Fancy Rats forum? There are usually youngsters on there.

5. ceretrea

We got him from the adoption centre at P@H weighing the same as a 6 week old :(

I'm a member there but there isn't a lot up at the moment is terms of singles. Of course I could be tempted into taking home more then one but trying to keep our overall numbers lower then higher lol Although I admit to a losing battle on that score :rolleyes:

6. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

If there is a group of 3 then the people that are rehoming them can often be tempted to rehome one to you and keep the other 2 as a pair if you've got same age company. It doesn't hurt to ask :)

I also fight a battle against the GMR. I've promised myself that I won't get anymore until I'm back down to 2 or 3.

7. ceretrea

:nono:now you know you can't win that one! We have 14 in total in two groups and I keep saying no more til we are down to 5 or 6. Then we spotted Binky in his cage. And we know how that story ends :D

8. ceretrea

Looks like we may be sorted, thank you x

9. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

:eek: yaaaay, so the piccies will be following I take it?:D

10. ceretrea

i will sort pics out, of Binky too. Been very norty and late. Its not set in stone as I need to hear back plus I never count my ratties til they are in my hand lol But they should be coming on Sat.

11. ceretrea

Sadly we've had to rethink the rats we reserved. It seems Binky is much younger then 5 months old. As he becomes pingier by the day we are forced to drop the max age to 4 months as suitable friend(s) for him.

Still looking

12. ceretrea

Found a buck at Furry Friends, but need help with transport. Is anyone coming from there to the Portsmouth/Southampton area?

13. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

Sorry I can't help hun, but I just wanted to say that it might be worth making a separate thread in the general chat area and the rodent section as some people might not read the rehoming forum :) Hope that you get something sorted out soon.

14. ceretrea

All done thanks to Kammi. One boy turned into three as we took his two brothers aswell. Pics to follow soon in the gallery.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice