Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Bestpab, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Bestpab

Bestpab PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

my partner and I have recently bought a cockapoo on 27/09/2019. He is currently just over 10 weeks old.

He responds extremely well to training with treats and toys (sit, lie down etc...) apart from the general puppy biting etc he is golden. He sleeps well of a night, his crate is in our bedroom.

I work a 4 shift pattern of nights afternoons mornings and then week off. My partner works a 7.30-15.30 day job. I am due to start my afternoon shift next week which I start at 13.30 (leave home at 12.15). Which means he will be alone for approx 4 hours. He will be left in a pen with toilet pads, water and Kong)

After that is morning shift where he will be left alone for 8 hours ( family member to come in and let him out for toilet break and small play half way through)

I’m beginning to worry he may start getting anxiety issues when being left alone. He’s not a fan of being left alone at the moment and will cry if he can’t get to us even if we’re in line of sight.

I have recorded him in the pen when I had to leave for 15 mins one day and he settled within 5 mins.

Would love some opinions and advice/experiences!

thanks

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It is possible he is frustrated at seeing you but not being with you. If he is settling when you are not there, it's hopeful.

Sairy likes this.
  3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Member

I think you’ll be OK as - if he seems OK when you’re out of sight - he will hopefully just sleep (puppies sleep a lot). You can start helping him to get used to your absence by leaving him on his own (ie, leave the house) for just a short period initially - say, 30 seconds. Make NO fuss of him when you leave and NONE when you return, even if he goes a bit frantic. Just make it a natural thing: you go and you return. As he gets used to you leaving for a short period, extend the period of time. You should just get him used to you to’ing and fro’ing, no dramas, and he’ll learn that it’s OK, because you do always come back. If you can vary the routine by leaving through one door and coming back in at another that supposedly can help. When you’re out for extended periods, it is thought to help if you leave the radio or TV on. It is thought that classical music is quite soothing (certainly better than heavy metal!) I recommend Classic FM. :)

With those extended periods when he’s on his own, I’d also be concerned at how you will get him toilet trained, but hopefully you have a plan for that. Suffice to say, I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he’s able to hold himself for four hours.

4. Bestpab

Bestpab PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the replies, it’s really appreciated. He has been toilet training outside since the day we got him and it has actually been going pretty well.

We resorted to the pads as I’d rather him toilet inside the house there than be forced to toilet his own bed. I know it’s a step back but I feel it’s the only fair way.

I trialled him sleeping downstairs today in his pen. I’m working nights this week so I get home for 6.30am when my partner is just leaving for work. He gets fed then walked and put to bed at 8.30am. He had a cry for about 10 minutes then was silent. I set an alarm every 2 hours so he has the chance to go outside.

Our plan is for him to be downstairs sleeping so I guessing this is a good sign?

thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice