Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for a quiet long lasting chew

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winniethepoodle, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Winniethepoodle

Winniethepoodle PetForums Member

OK now this may be a big ask, but someone might know something. I have to attend a civil wedding ceremony in a couple of months (Covid rules allowing) and Winnie will be coming too. I need to keep her quiet for about 20 mins or so during the ceremony. The thing that keeps her the most quiet is chewing. She has lots of different chews but they need to fulfill certain requirements in this instance and hers don't. Does anyone know of a chew that doesn't smell, leave stains on carpets and are not noisy - ie, doesn't make loud crunching noises. I wondered if there was a chew that had a more flexible texture so it doesn't snap or crack. All her softer chews are done within minutes so it needs to be something tougher that will last long enough. I have braided lamb skins which she loves and would be ideal only they snap and crack so something like that with less crunch would be perfect. Thanks

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Winniethepoodle likes this.
  3. Winniethepoodle

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I don't find the lamb ones snap or crack, might be worth trying a different batch to see, just in case the ones you have are a little drier than normal?

Winniethepoodle likes this.
  5. Winniethepoodle

Interesting. Perhaps I should try soaking it in some hot water to hydrate it a bit?

6. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

What kind of poodle is Winnie? (Age/size)
    Here is my very incomplete, very professional work in progress study on the matter that I keep forgetting to add to :p:Pompus

Blue is 10kg terrier
    Green 27kg lurcher
    Purple 16kg podenco
    Yellow 22kg lurcher

Screenshot_20201125-090448_Sheets.jpg

If she's quite small (as in not a standard poodle!) your best bet for non stinky, non staining, non noisy might be a veg based chew like Whimzees. The XL sticks or toothbrushes, L hedgehogs or veggie ears should last her a fair whack

7. Winniethepoodle

At the time of the ceremony she will be 6 1/2 months. She currently weighs just over 6kg

BlueJay likes this.
  8. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Very dinky!! :D
    That at least widens your opens for something long lasting than if she was a big dog ha.
    A lickimat with something really tasty on could be another potential option.

Might be noting that if she hasn't been in a situation like the wedding before, she might be too aroused/stimulated to settle properly with a chew. Equally, she could be absolutely fine, but maybe just something to think about :)

LinznMilly and Winniethepoodle like this.
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

@BlueJay, are these the chewing times for each chew/dog? I'm seriously impressed with your attention to detail!

10. Winniethepoodle

Yes, it's something I'm a bit nervous about but keeping fingers crossed that she is ok. There will be very few of us (less than 10) and most of the people she already knows. I think I will have to go armed with an array of things :)

BlueJay likes this.
  11. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

I need a better hobby :Hilarious

12. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I could have done with that graph a few months ago, when I was looking for a long lasting chew for Madam Milly. :D. Orf to go price up some Giant bully sticks (another thing I never though I'd say o_O )

Sorry for the thread derailment @Winniethepoodle :Bag .

JoanneF, Winniethepoodle and BlueJay like this.
  13. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

https://www.doggytreat.co.uk/anco-giant-range
    Camel is good too :D:D

LinznMilly likes this.
  14. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

15. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

@BlueJay that table is hilarious :Hilarious

Along with all the other suggestions what about a Yakkers chew? It'll last her aaages, but you can just swap it for a little treat when you want to take it away. For 2 of mine these last ages, but Fly (lurcher) can demolish them in super fast time. I doubt Winnie will be like Fly :D:rolleyes:

tabelmabel and BlueJay like this.
  16. Winniethepoodle

I would definitely give her a Yakkers chew and she does have one already but this is the chew that she loved so much on day one and it kept her quiet for ages and ages and now every time I give it to her she walks around the house with it in her mouth whining or leaves it lying around and whines regardless. She might be better in a couple of months and will try it again but for now all I get is the whining.

17. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

You can pop them in the microwave for a few seconds :)
    Changes the texture a little (not as hard) and brings out the smell a bit more, so she might be more inclined to give it a good go.
    (They will puff up completely and become very honeycomby and crispy if you leave them in for longer!)

Gwenny used to LOOOOOOVE them, and after the first one that took nearly two hours, she could demolish them in closer to 45mins... then she cracked her tooth on one so now she's only allowed them puffed :rolleyes:

18. Winniethepoodle

Thanks I will try that. Once the texture changes (will only try a few seconds) does it harden back up again or does the texture stay like that? Do you keep putting it back in the microwave each time you use it?

BlueJay likes this.
  19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Penny (10 pound terrier mutt) loves beef tendons. I get them in bulk and hacksaw the bigger pieces, they can last her a good 30 minutes depending on the thickness.
    Bates (90 pound muttdog) is a power chewer and tendons last him less than 3 minutes. The only thing that lasts with him are antlers but those are for sure not quiet.

@BlueJay I love your chart, it appeals to my orderly, list-making side. :D
    I feel like your green column should be all the way on the right so you're columns are in order of dog size :Hilarious

LinznMilly and BlueJay like this.
  20. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I really want @BlueJay to try Rory with a hairy cow's ear because I can use a single one across 2-3 1hr sessions for Cad lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice