Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for a grooming apprenticeship

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by chinton, Aug 18, 2009.

1. chinton

chinton PetForums Junior

Are there any groomers out there who would be willing to offer hands on advice or an apprenticeship to a newbie.. evenings or weekends.. Solihull, Bromsgrove, West Midlands areas??

Please PM me if you can help.

Thank you!

2. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Hi, can't help but i'm looking to get into dog grooming too :)

i'm starting a work placement in one local to me in september, have you tried ringing round your local places? It's a busy time of year for groomers so they might be glad of the help :)

Good luck and I hope you find somewhere!

3. Rough

Rough Guest

Successful groomers don't need to work evenings and weekends. You'd be much better to take a full time grooming course at a grooming college (not a local college that runs grooming classes) if you want to learn properly.

4. chinton

chinton PetForums Junior

Oooh Verbatim, how exciting!! Have you gone to college as well or just the apprenticeship? Wishing you the best of luck with it and let me know how you get on? :D

Rough.. ideally thats what I'd love to do but I work f/time managing flats and have done for 5 years and i want out now.. but I cant leave due to financial restraints so i'm trying to find a way around it but dont seem to be getting anywhere :confused:

5. Rough

Rough Guest

There really is no way round learning properly. :( If you clip it all off like the others then you'll not get enough work. Those are the people who work at colleges in the evenings and whose businesses fail. Groomers who make the breeds look like they should have client waiting lists and earn a good living working 8-3, even in these difficult times.;)
    Saving 4 weeks holiday would be a good start. Or how about a taster day at a good grooming college to make sure that it's what you want to do?

#5 Rough, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  6. chinton

chinton PetForums Junior

Thanks Rough.. I have applied for a taster day in January.. i cant wait!

Well my boss just wont let me take all 5 weeks in one go as it will leave the office too short staffed so.. I have found an academy that does a 4 week course and I think they will split it into blocks for me as the training is one to one, which means i could have a week or 2 off work at a time.. they cant complain at that!

First, I want to find some past students though and see what their views were - because all of the courses SOUND good!!

Otherwise I will need to find private one to one training and do it in weekly blocks.

Finding someone reputable is the hardest bit though! :rolleyes:

7. Rough

Rough Guest

Finding someone reputable is the hardest bit though!

Absolutely. But anything less is a waste of time and money! I know of a lady who had done a full year at her local agricultural college towards her C&G but didn't feel that she was making enough progress and so was wondering about signing up for her second year. She went on a taster day at a grooming school in Oxford and said that she'd learned more in that day than she'd learned in the previous year! She ditched her old course, booked 4 weeks at the new school and was set up at home and working (earning!) in 6 weeks!

8. chinton

chinton PetForums Junior

omg that's awful! What a waste of her time and money. That is what I am most scared about. Well done to her for making it work eventually, she must be over the moon.

The academy I have found is called All Breed Grooming Academy in the Midlands.. does anyone know anything about it?

9. Rough

Rough Guest

Don't know of it but I've just looked at the website. The only photo in the gallery shows a dreadful clipped Westie that's completely the wrong shape. :eek:
    He can't spell Cavalier and I wouldn't be happy to pay for this!
    Grooming can be very tiring when you first start if you are finding the day mentally or physically tiring we will call it a day or have a cup of tea and a rest and start fresh for the next day.
    What a waste of your time and money?!:eek:ut:

Could you get here?
    Charney Kennels - Luxury boarding for dogs and cats, oxon

10. chinton

chinton PetForums Junior

Hmmm.. I just checked and it's an hour and a half away, which isn't too bad! :rolleyes: I have asked for a copy of their brochure. If I didnt have to do consecutive weeks then I could do that I reckon.

They say £350 per week for the first 4 weeks then £250 per week there after.. how many weeks would you have to train for? I'd struggle time-wise to go over 5 I think because that's my holiday entitlement.

Thanks so much for posting the link - I really need and appreciate this advice from people who have been there and done it!

11. Rough

Rough Guest

how many weeks would you have to train for?
    It really depends on your previous experience and how quickly you can learn.
    Planning and continuity is the key. If you have somewhere that you can set up at home, then you can bath friend's dogs in between to keep your hand in for the weeks inbetween. There is a lot to learn if you're not going to do the same 'shave the backs and scalp the heads and legs' that most other groomers do! :D

Their cost for training is very low for the potential earnings that you can make. If you got set up at home (mobiles can't possibly carry all the equipment they need with them!) then you could start doing a dog in the evening while you still have wages coming in. Then fill Saturdays etc. Once you've built up a regular client base - you want your dogs coming in every 8 weeks, so relatively knot free - not twice a year! - then you can give in your notice! :eek:hmy::wink5:

12. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I'm doing it as part of my college course, i'm doing a National Diploma in Animal Management and Grooming is one of the modules. I enjoyed it so much, i've decided it's what i've wanted to do and we need a work placement for the second year of the course and a local groomer was looking for a work experience student from my college so it's just seemed to work out perfectly :)

I know Myerscough College do evening courses and short courses in grooming but it's in Preston in Lancashire so it might be too far away for you, which is a shame because Myerscough is fantastic and it's a well reputed college :)

13. chinton

chinton PetForums Junior

OMG if someone scalped on of my dogs they would be in for it lol! It took me 10 months to get over my fear of clippers and realised that not all dogs have to be in full coat lol!

I can definitely practise in between.. b/f is converting an area to a grooming room for me as I need it for our dogs anyway so that would be a good way of keeping the momentum up in between training. I suppose when I was more confident towards the end, I could offer free grooming as a trainee too? Although I guess you need insurance etc so would have to look into that.

I would like to work from home that would be my goal yes! Thanks so much for all the advice - I feel so much more upbeat about the whole thing now.. I was on such a downer as people kept saying you will have to give up your job to train f/time and I thought the whole thing was impossible.

I think the Charney Kennels are definitely the way forward..bet there's a 2 year waiting list or something though and ill be twiddling my thumb for ages now lol! :p

14. chinton

chinton PetForums Junior

Verbaitim that's great! It sounds fab and you're so lucky the way it's all worked out! :D:D

I did look at Myerscough but it was a bit too far for me.:rolleyes:

15. Rough

Rough Guest

I could offer free grooming as a trainee too?
    No. After just a week at Charney you will be better trained than most working groomers. ;):D Just make sure that you only take on dogs that are within your capabilities eg, not a poodle or bichon after a week's course. :rolleyes:
    But you'll certainly be able to turn out a good Cocker, Springer, Mini Schnauzer etc that look like their breed and not shaved to within an inch of their lives after your first week at Charney. And goldens that need minimum trimming and labs that need none!

16. chinton

chinton PetForums Junior

Oh I can't wait!! I am so looking forward to this!

17. chinton

chinton PetForums Junior

Oh I cant wait!

Thank you again for the advice! I will be back with an update! woohoo!

18. nicola1980

nicola1980 PetForums Member

I'm sorry to say but I would be very weary about this course, after a week's training you WILL NOT be a dog groomer and not be better trained than most working groomers.:mad:
    Dog grooming is a skill and it take's a dammed time longer than a week or 4 - 6 week's at that matter to learn it, yes in that time you may pick up some of the very basic skills but dog grooming is about so much more than just the basics (if you want to be a good groomer).

If you really want to make a go out of grooming then in my opinion get in touch with your college or grooming academy (most run evening courses) and go down that root.
    Just a last point would you let someone that has only 1 week's experience groom your dog? I know I never would:eek:

19. nicola1980

nicola1980 PetForums Member

Rough I don't know what groomers you have seen but none I know of shave dogs to within an inch of their lives :eek: unless the dog is so badly matted then that's the only thing that can be done of course.

20. chinton

chinton PetForums Junior

Hi,

the Oxford course is a minimum 4 week course but then ongoing depending on how long you feel you need - as far as I can tell. I have looked at colleges and all the courses I found are about the same length of time but they are set dates, so I would struggle to get the time off work to do it in one block :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice