Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for a groomer in Edinburgh

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Kinski, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I've just taken on a Bichon and she's an ex puppy farm girl, her coat was pretty sparse when she came to me 5 weeks ago but it's now coming in thick and fast. I really would like to have a groomer that would allow me to stay with Ellie as she's very wary of anyone but me. I don't want her to be put in a crate as I'm positive that it would freak her out, it's horrible to see the way she reacts to some things that happen around her and I really don't want her to take a few steps backwards in her recovery. I would prefer the groomer to be in the Leith or surrounding areas as I don't drive and hate having to depend on my family.

Ellie the day we got her.
    [​IMG]

One of her baldy bits that's starting to come in.
    [​IMG]

Starting to feel at home.
    [​IMG]

2. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

We're in Innerleithen so it's probably a little far for you to travel from Edinburgh.
    If you type Pet Groomers in Edinburgh in Google, you should get a good list. One I know of in Edinburgh is Waggly Tails, not sure where about she is but she can come to your house. Which might be a better idea for you.
    Some groomers aren't keen on owners staying but there is no harm in asking and I'm sure if you explain your reasons they'll be ok.

3. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Thanks for the reply, I've been asking about but so far I can't find one that will let me be with her, might just need to get the hedge trimmer out if I'm stuck :wink:.

4. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

I'm surprised that so many groomers won't let people say, yes I can understand it can cause a bit of a disruption. But even if they just let you stay the first 10mins or so just to see how she's going to be. You might take her and she be absolutely fine.
    How is she with being handled?
    If I can think of anyone else, I'll let you know.

5. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

So far I'm the only one that she trusts, she's started to take tit bits from my oh and my grown up kids but anyone new she panics slightly and she looks over at me to see if it's okay. It would be good for her for me to be there and if she started to panic I'd take her away and wait a wee while before I tried again. Thanks for looking for me :thumbup1:

6. amberspy

amberspy PetForums Member

hi i saw a ad at pets at home a while ago called a cut above which is mobile groomer who do in ur own home mite be worth a try

7. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Thanks Amberspy. I managed to find one near to me and Ellie was done on Saturday, the groomer came to the house and let me hold Ellie most of the time so she wasn't to spooked, I now have a nice shiny new Bichon but I can't wait til it grows in and I have my wee scruff bag back :smilewinkgrin:.

8. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Aww... I'm so pleased that you managed to get a groomer who'd allow you to help. Where are pictures of gorgeous Ellie :D

9. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Here you go
    Don't think she was that impressed, she's sticking her tongue out at me :D
    [​IMG]

Here she is with her big brother Arran
    [​IMG]

and one of her on her own
    [​IMG]

She's still very scared of loads of things and people but to think that 9/10 weeks ago she was still living in the hell hole that is a puppy farm she's doing brilliantly.

10. sheika

sheika PetForums Junior

Aww they're so cute :) She's looking a million times better, she's lucky to have found such a wonderful caring mummy

11. CateHamilton

CateHamilton PetForums Newbie

I use her, thats Cat Winchester! She sets up her table in your home and she's really good about doing what's best for the dog,s he's just an animal lover through and through really, which is what you want when letting others care for your dog. She always stresses that owners are welcome to stay but don't have to. I always stay.

I wouldn't say Lilly actually likes being groomed but she's very well behaved now and it's always a good sign that she goes nuts (in a good way) when she sees Cat. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice