Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking for a dog. Not sure kind

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bart alexander, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Bart alexander

Bart alexander PetForums Newbie

I’m looking to get a dog. I need recommendations on breed. I’m 56 years old, retired and live in a smaller log cabin with my wife. She still works. The dog will spend most of her time with me. I am an avid fisherman so she will go on boat often. I also hunt deer so I thought of a possible blood trailer however that is not a must. I have had in the past outdoor only dogs before moving here. I’ve had shepherds, malamutes, and last was a chocolate lab. I love the looks of hounds such as fox hound, blue tick hound and German shorthair pointers. I also still love the labs I am not wanting a lot of hair shedding in the cabin although does have wood floors throughout. I also travel 9 hours often to see kids and grandkids so this dog will need to travel. I never had indoor dogs or travel dogs and want to keep things clean. I know this sounds picky but Oman old farm boy raised where dogs ran free outside but I really miss having a dog partner especially fishing I don’t like little foo foo dogs. Question. Is there anyone out there reading this that has a similar situation with a median size dog. Thank you for your time in response.

2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

I don't know much about them - other than they're used for tracking wounded game and are a medium sized breed but perhaps Bavarian mountain hound?

Bart alexander and adamantis like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think you are talking about breeds and needs which do not apply in the UK and this is a UK forum so not sure anyone (bar one US poster) can really advise you.

Calvine, Torin. and kimthecat like this.
  4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I live in a hunting region of Hungary where GSP are quite popular. My neighbour owns one, a beautiful looking dog, but has the bad habit of wandering off on it's own and not returning for hours and also, I'm told killing villagers chickens. We also have a couple of young Viszla who are being trained for hunting. They seem to be very attached to their owners, although that could be because they're young. From what I've been told Viszla are highly sensitive dogs.

If you want a good all rounder try looking at the Giant Schnauzer who were originally bred as Farm Dogs. I've got Miniature Schnauzers and have a friend who owns Giants and I think we can both vouch that Schnauzers don't shed. With my two I brush them a couple of times a week, and in spring and summer I take them to the groomer to have their coats cut short. In winter though I leave their coats to grow long. At the moment they look like shaggy sheep!

SusieRainbow likes this.
  5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Are you in the US @Bart alexander ? If so, what general area? The climate for that region is a consideration too.

Torin. likes this.
  6. Bart alexander

Yes. Branson Missouri

7. Bart alexander

I didn’t realize this was only the UK. Sorry to all

8. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Don't be sorry about it, you're still welcome to be a member and contribute. Whilst it is a UK forum we have members from all over the world and it makes the forum far more interesting, so please don't think you have to leave..

JoanneF and Calvine like this.
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Absolutely, I'm sure all Blitz meant was that we might not be as familiar with all of the breeds available to you. Please stay around and update us.

Torin. and Magyarmum like this.
  10. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

If you get a hound breed you will spend ore time looking for it.

Magyarmum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice