Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking at possibly adopting a dog with sleep startle

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sanfero, May 31, 2020.

1. Sanfero

Sanfero PetForums Newbie

I'm currently looking at adopting a dog who has sleep startle from my local shelter. He's a 6 y/o Lurcher and is such a lovely dog who loves to have a good fuss. He was previously adopted out back in December but was returned to the shelter due to the sleep startle, I don't know all the details of it unfortunately. I wouldn't want something like that to be a reason not to give this dog a home but I know that I need to be prepared for anything that may happen because of it. I also currently have a 3 y/o female American Bulldog who's as soft as anything. It'd just be a great help to know what to expect with having a dog with sleep startle, any precautions I have to take concerning the other people in the household and our resident dog and any ways that we can help him work on it if that's possible. Any information or advice you all could give on here would be a huge help.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

What have the rescue told you about the circumstances when the dog displays the behaviour and what does he do?

Many dogs would be startled if suddenly disturbed when asleep.

Some sleep with their eyes open so people think they’re awake.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice