Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Looking at breeds-help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Miss.PuddyCat, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

So my mom and I are in talks about our next dog, which I would like to at the start of next year contact breeders and start making ground work.

My mom is interested in Boston Terriers and her all time fav Chinese Cresteds.

But we recently met a Cairn Terrier so that may be in the mix.

But Ill admit I do love how Sophie is Hypoallergenic, she doesnt shed like crazy, honestly it only comes out when I brush her and even that is minimal.

The houseproud thread got me thinking on this.

I think I would prefer a low shedding hypoallergenic breed but I dont know much about which breeds are and arent.

So what Im looking for is a breed that is

Small to toy size

Needs medium amount of exercise (Sophie gets at least 1.5 hours daily of walking time)

Grooming needs can be anything, Sophie goes for a grooming session every two months, she gets daily brushing.

Any breeds that spring to mind?

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Miniature or toy poodle?

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Bichon Frise :)

4. Miss.PuddyCat

I like the toy poodle and love the colour of apricot one but my moms not a fan of the pure bred poodle so thats a no :(

I have heard they are hard to house train?

Does anyone know for sure the cairn terrier is Hypoallergenic ?

Ive read they need to be hand stripped for their coat. Is this easy to do?

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

No dog is hypo allergenic, some dogs shed a lot less and lose less dander, but allergies are caused by more than just hair and dander.

Bichon Frise's are, by all accounts, very intelligent little dogs, I don't think they'd be difficult to house train in the right hands, no more so than any other breed of a similar intelligence.

Funnily enough I've just been stripping out Indie's coat, she has a very woolly thick coat, so I stand outside to do it otherwise the house would be even messier than it is! I must have got another dog off her!!

Handstripping is time consuming and if you're allergic to the hairs and dander I don't think a breed that needs hand stripping would suit you. I pluck the dead hair out of the flatcoat's ears and that's time consuming enough!!

6. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Do they have Prazsky Krysariks in Canada? Mine require no grooming but I sometimes brush them with a soft brush, just so they get used to it - and mine are long-haired. They don't have an undercoat.

7. Miss.PuddyCat

Well im not allergic but I do like how clean hypo allergic dogs seem to be or at least in Sophie's case as she doesnt carry a wet dog smell unless extremely wet and as soon as she is dry it is odorless. Saying that her hair does collect alot of things Im surprised after a roll in the bush she doesnt have a few critters living in her!

Okie dokies its just something ive seen mentioned alot when it comes to house training that they tend to be difficult in that area.

Is handstripping easy to learn? I think next time were at the groomers Ill have to ask them if they hand strip.

Got any googly eyes to stick on it?:laugh: been there before with the cat hair

8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Fortunately, for some bizarre reason, the flatcoat eats it :eek:

9. Miss.PuddyCat

Now that makes me gag, yuk :)

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

This may help, Perfect Pup website, gives you pictures, and at a glance, details
    on things like grooming, size, exercise, noise, character sketch etc for all breeds
    Perfect Pup

Another site is Dog breed health, that covers the same sort of things in a bit more detail that you can go through breed by breed.
    Dog Breed Health

11. Miss.PuddyCat

Im actually not to sure to be honest as Ive never seen or heard of the breed before :)

Last year we met a Peruvian Inca Orchid and were told there was I think one or two in Canada as their very rare.

Ive just done a search and a few breeders have popped up :)

12. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

As has been said; technically there is no such thing as a fully hypoallergenic dog. It is possible for a person to be allergic to proteins in hair, dander, skin cell, saliva or even urine; and it may be the case for all animals, only some animals, only some breeds etc.

I actually know one guy who is highly allergic to almost all dogs except huskies!! :eek:

That said, certain low shedding breeds do seem to be far better for allergy sufferers. Realistically, far more people are allergic to "normal" coated dogs that to fluffy virtually-non-shedding breeds like poodles, bichons, etc.

I can vouch for bichons :) Lovely little dogs.

They are smart and can pick up new things very quickly - although they do have a reputation for having the attention span of a goldfish!
    I don't think house training is a big deal. Our first bichon was 8 weeks when we got her, and was pretty much clean (inc when left and through the night) by about 10/11 weeks old.
    Our latest boy took much longer, though was still clean by 6 months old, but personally I blame this on lazy training on my parents part (very poor supervision, not enough trips outside, not bothering to interupt if he peed indoors etc).
    I don't know anyone personally with bichons that describes them as particularly hard to housetrain.

They are "clean" dogs in the sense they don't really shed much, don't have that "doggy" smell about them, so if that's what you're after they would suit you well. They do need loads of grooming though - Solo takes about 45 mins brushing every day, clipping at the groomers every 4-6 weeks, plus frequent ear plucking etc.

13. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Seems to be true about sled dog breeds may be because the undercoat is more like wool, they dont have a doggie smell either, my Samoyed especially when wet and bathed smelt of lanolin when wet like you get when you wash a pure new wool jumper and its wet.

My daughter has two friends both with severe asthma/allergies one so bad he used to have a nebuliser at home and they were fine with my sammy and Huskies.

We have a friend now too, who has sever asthma problems and shes fine with mine as well. but cant cope with other dogs like labs etc.

Hoever they need grooming the samoyeds even more so, and they moult the undercoat for england.

14. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Another vote for a Bichon.

They do have a reputation for being hard to house train but I never found that with Poppy. For some reason she adopted the cat litter tray (never used by the cat but always down) on the day she got home, hopped in and wee'd, used it every time after that so I just moved it outside. Clean during the night after about 3 weeks I think.

On the other hand, my son has Poppy's sister. They are now almost 2.5 years old and she still uses pads in the house, wont do anything outside. And that is because they never did any proper house training. I think they thought she would just copy the other dog they had and they'd not have to do any work, unfortunately for them it didn't work out like that :rolleyes:.

I keep Poppy's coat short, in just a pet cut, and she takes about 20 minutes a day brushing, maybe a bit longer when it's near haircut time. She goes to the groomer every 5 weeks and the groomer sees to her ears and nails when necessary.

Exercise wise I give Poppy two good walks/runs on the beach every day, lasting between 45 minutes and an hour each time. There have been times when I've had to do a shorter walk for whatever reason and apart from zoomies in the house to run off a bit of energy there's been no problem with that.

They don't shed, they don't smell, they don't drool, they love company (not the sort of dog you could leave all day while you go out to work, they are more companion dogs). Great little dogs all round.

15. Doggiesrule100

Doggiesrule100 PetForums Member

hmm how about a border terrier or havanese?
    I know I saw this EVERY time but havanese make the PERFECT small pets. They non shedding, affectionate intelligent little things.

16. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Yorkshire terrier? Mine is very affectionate and quite clever. She is also easy to look after and quiet.

17. Beau-a-saurus

Beau-a-saurus PetForums Senior

Bedlington terriers :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: they are low shedding, non oily so don't smell, really humorous dogs, they do have a terrier streak but more mild mannered and ours is happy being active or sleeping in front of he fire :D

I will say they seem to be cold dogs, Beau loves to wear a jumper if it is chilly and is such a clown, he loves to make people laugh :001_wub:

As they are low shed they need regular brushing and trimming or they get very woolly, they do need ears plucking but your groomer can do this, you can also drastically change their look, show ones have a definite style, I trim Beau a rescue (dodgy heritage) working beddie depending on season and the mood I am in.

Enjoy your puppy hunting hunting :D

18. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Westie? Meets all your requirements.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice