Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Look who came knocking at my door

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kaily, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

Okay not exactly, I actually went looking for her. I will confess it was not the perfect kc registered breeder route. She has a blurry past and I have given money to someone that wasn't nice. She spent most of her time in the dark cupboard under the stairs in a cat box. There she had to constantly wee as no other choice. It will take time to get the staining and smell out of her coat. Fact is I couldn't walk away.

She is the sweetest, apologetic dog I have ever met. Kinda sorry for just being.

To say Alfie is not pleased is a huge understatement. He is worse than I feared so I have to keep them apart the majority of the time. We did do a long walk yesterday where he tolerated her. No Penny and Bates love going on here. He is guarding absolutely everything.

I am feeling overwhelmingly stressed, regretful, excited and challenged. I hate that I have upset Alfie so much. Early days I know but I can see the hurt in his eyes.

Could really do with some support please.

Here she is. Not much bigger than a rabbit.

IMG_20201030_203949_9.jpg

IMG_20201030_203433_690.jpg

IMG_20201031_181713_360.jpg

IMG_20201031_070911_548.jpg

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

What a pretty girl and what a rotten start she has had in her life. Hopefully Alfie will feel a bit more accepting in a day or two.

3. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

She is so pretty:)
    When we brought Ronnie home my JRT Floyd hated him ,we gave Floyd plenty of time away from Ron it took around 3 weeks before Floyd actually started to enjoy Ronnie,they are now the best of friends:)

4. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

Forgot to say, she is 13 months old. I'm working on a name ...

5. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

Thank you.

Did Floyd attack Ronnie? Alfie is being really aggressive, so in defence she growls at him now. So its a catch 22.
    He has always been a grump, at the park he just ignores other dogs, prefers no interaction unless forced by in your face dogs then he reacts.

6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I have no idea why, but to me she looks like Rosie. It's not a name I ever would think I might choose and I've always resisted contributing to ”what should I call my dog” threads because it's such a personal choice.

But she looks like a Rosie to me.

What was she called already?

margy and LittleMow like this.
  7. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

Yes Rosie is nice. I have been considering Candy but not sure. Her name was Lady but unsurprisingly she doesn't know it.

I also like Daisy or Tinka. I am always like this with new dogs and names. Alfie's vaccination card he is Magic then I changed my mind.

LittleMow and JoanneF like this.
  8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

3 weeks seems to be the magic timeframe. When we brought tilly home, murphles was horrible. I was at the point of consulting behaviourists. After some googling, this 3 week thing came up as a settling time.

So weird as i think it was 3 weeks to the day and murphles just changed like a flicked switch.

@Kaily murphles was very agressive to tilly. Awful. We brought tilly home on a 7hr car journey in the summer of 2017.

We took both tilly and murph into our garden first and they played great. It was a nice day and they played for a while.

When we went in, that's when the problem started. Tilly approached murph and he gave her a very stern warning. Too stern. Then he took himself off into a room we hardly use and curled himself up tight under a drum kit.

We left him be. But the next day he refused to come into our main room. And the next. By day 3 i was really worried. Some folk i knew just told me to put them together but that would never have worked.

We had tilly in a pen in our main room and i managed to get murph into the room with treats. Eventually we got him to a point where he would lie down in that room but if tilly even dared look at him, his lip curled up, teeth bared and growl.

A lot of work later he got nearer and nearer the pen. Sometimes their bodies were close seperated by the pen but tilly could not look at him.

He lunged at the pen a couple of times. Friends tried to help me by offering their gardens so till and murph had neutral territory. When we tried this, murph just stood at the garden gate, ready to go home.

Once we made a mistake (we prob made lots of mistakes tbf!) And tilly ran from our garden into our kitchen. Murph was in our dining room and came at tilly, lunged right on top and terrified her.

It was looking really grim.

Then, 3 weeks in, we went to mum in law's. We were in her garden sitting with both of them. Im sure we must have had both on long lines or something.

Anyway, till must have noticed murph's body language had softened as she just went to him as puppies do and they started playing. Really rough and tumble but both having fun.

And when we got home that day, they just continued friends. That was it.

Tilly was no longer scared of murph. I cancelled the behaviourist and all was well.

Summercat, margy, LittleMow and 2 others like this.
  9. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Good for you! She's fallen on her feet. I was worried she was a puppy, and therefore from a puppy farm or BYB, but as she's over a year old, then you've saved her from a horrible life.

Names
    Lucky,
    Clover
    Belle
    Bella
    Bonnie
    Ella
    Gracie
    Mia (means beloved)
    Olive
    Pebbles
    Trixie

PS:. I told you you'd find her. ;)

Summercat, margy, LittleMow and 3 others like this.
  10. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

Thanks tabelmabel that is really encouraging.

When I first brought Alfie home I had 2 other Jacks, things were fraught but not like this. In fact Alfie as an 8 week pup was trying to rule the roost then too, but soon got told off by the others.

11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Aw bless her! So glad you found each other :)

(And may the fleas of a thousand camels take up permanent residence in the underwear of the b*stard that had her first! :mad:)

Hopefully, things will settle.

If she is really stinky still that may be upsetting Alfie?

If he’s guarding, I’d put everything away for now and obviously, separate them for meals/treats.

Stay positive ;)

Kittynanna, Sarah H, Beth78 and 6 others like this.
  12. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Now, that is a fabulous curse!

13. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh, she is gorgeous and a lucky little girl to have found you. Is she pure JRT, she looks it?

Kaily and LinznMilly like this.
  14. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

She is so cute look at her. Why were they keeping her like that so cruel. I have no advice regarding Alfie but hopefully he will mellow soon.

Kaily and LinznMilly like this.
  15. LittleMow

LittleMow PetForums Senior

Congratulations on your new edition, what a sweet looking lady, great ears. She must be relieved to be out from under the stairs, though understandably it all must be confusing and frightening for her. Alfie may be picking up on her anxiety. I hope in time Alfie will accept her. Go easy on yourself, it will take time for you all to find your rhythm.

Don't know why but I thought Rosie too, and it's not a name I'd normally go for either :)

lorilu, Kaily and JoanneF like this.
  16. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Poor sweet little girl to have been shut away like that.
    But she's safe now and I hope she will eventually become as happy and confident as Penny:Joyful

Lurcherlad, Kaily and LittleMow like this.
  17. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Since Harry Potter lived in the cupboard under the stairs, and she came to you at Hallowe'en, I wonder if a word for witch might suit her, or (witch) Hazel?

18. margy

margy PetForums VIP

She's so sweet she reminds me a bit of Rick Steins dog Chalky and very lucky you came along to give her the home she deserves. I have no advice re Alfie. Belle accepted Suzie from the start, they were totally different characters, Belle highly strung and nervy, Suzie very calm and laid back.They got along well together. Given time I'm sure Alfie will get used to her, he's probably just a bit put out at the moment, having a strange dog living in his house.

19. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Poor girl she's had sure a bad start to life hopefully things will soon settle down and Alfie will get to like her.

She's so cute as soon as I saw her I thought Poppy would suit her.

Lurcherlad, Kaily and LinznMilly like this.
  20. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I've always wanted a dog called Alice or Emily...although always end up with males, so it probably won't happen ;)

Fingers crossed it all settles down soon. I wonder if Alfie is being a bit like Danny, he can be a bit stroppy if a dog is acting nervous, and maybe the smell is upsetting him? I remember my sisters dog limping, wincing, and acting really miserable, it turned out he had a bit of poo on his leg :Hilarious

Lurcherlad, Kaily and LittleMow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice