Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Look How Much My Snails Have Grown!

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by cupcake, Feb 20, 2008.

1. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

[​IMG]
    when I first got them :)

[​IMG]
    Now :)

2. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Kwl :) How long did it take them to get to the size they are now?

3. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

A year or so :) I'm hoping they will grow bigger and maybe have some babies. I saw a huge one yesterday at the college I may be joining, she was as big as my head!!

4. Bodwad

Bodwad PetForums Junior

omg where do you live to get snails that big :eek:

I have never heard of anyone keeping snails either, surely they just sit there and do anything? :confused:

5. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

They don't do alot they just eat and grow!
    I live in south east england, noone really wants them so most places don't sell them but if you look on a snail forum (yes they do exist!) and ask for a breeder near you you could get some if you want them x

6. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

My daughter had 3 of them and ended up with like 200 more :eek: They bred like hell..We ended up freezing the eggs when they bred more because you just get over ran with them and they are pretty hard to rehome.

My local pet store has some, Pretty big ones aswell.

7. Bodwad

Bodwad PetForums Junior

They just seem like an odd pet thats all.

I bet the forums are slow...de dum tshhhhhhhhhh :p

8. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

:confused: What do u mean by slow?

9. Bodwad

Bodwad PetForums Junior

I was referring to a snail forum...slow :p

10. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Oh lol gotcha...i am thinking im the slow one now :D durrr lol

11. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

LOL ;D
    Yeah they are an odd pet, but quite fascinating. I got given them because a friend of a friend's snail had babies and noone would take any of them!
    I have to say however boring they are they are pretty cool lol :) x

12. pumpkinette

pumpkinette PetForums Junior

Awww, cupcake, they are lovely:no1: They look so much bigger! Our babies are tiny, so it's nice to see what they'll become, one day :)

13. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

Your snails look really nice and healthy. I saw some for sale but they were unhealthy because they had lost some of the brown colouring on their shells and so had dull white patches. This means that they had been short of calcium and so had been gnawing each other's shells. You're obviously looking after yours well!:)

14. Zoo_Keeper

Zoo_Keeper PetForums Member

Oh they are so nice, I was thinking on getting some soon could you tell me what the best way to look after them is please. (feeding, housing, bonding?)

15. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

I feed mine on potato and carrot peelings and also fresh dandelion leaves. I give them empty hen eggshells for extra calcium (free range ones of course!). They like the company of other snails and lots of attention from people. And they also need a dish of fresh cold water to drink from.

16. MillyMolly

MillyMolly PetForums Member

Hello Zookeeper,
    I am quite new to the pet forum but have posted on the cats and dogs.
    I do keep these giant african land snails there are many types, i also have 2 of the Giant african tiger snails that are even larger.
    my gals have laid eggs and I have quite a few baby ones if you would like some you are welcome, was just going to build them up over the next few weeks to get their shells stronger,the only cost would be the postage of next day delivery and a little to cover the packaging expenses approx 6.50 if you are interested just let me know.

There set up is quite simple I house them in a large propagator with compost with no additives, some cuttlefish for their shells,feed them round lettuce,
    cucumber and sweet potatoe normally.With a house plant mister i DAMPEN the
    compost once a day.I do have a care sheet that I could enclose as well

17. Searyan

Searyan PetForums Member

I keep snails too,it is an odd choice of pet yes but as I`m sure other snail lovers will agree,they`re great! I love just watching mine snail about the tank! that and I think they`re quite angelic looking.I think it takes a special type of person to be interested in looking after snails, theres a great site I go on called petsnails.co.uk we`d love to have some new members! :)

18. Searyan

Searyan PetForums Member

I`ve got some for sale if you want some Zoo keeper! have a look in the small animals classifieds....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice