Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

longer leads then 6'8 fined £1000 in Manchester

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by michaelasi, Jun 10, 2010.

1. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

They give dogs the freedom to run about without their owner having to worry about them dashing off to chase a passing cat.
    But now long leads have become the latest casualty on what critics say is a campaign by councils to curb the rights of dog owners.
    Wardens in Greater Manchester have been ordered to target walkers using leads more than 6ft 8in (2m) in length with the threat of a fine of up to £1,000 if they refuse to use a shorter one.
    The local council claims the tough new rule - imposed under legislation brought in by the last Labour Government - is necessary to prevent dogs roaming out of control and curb fouling.
    However dog enthusiasts yesterday said they were being penalised at the expense of irresponsible owners and questioned whether wardens would be equipped with tape measures to enforce the regulation.
    The measures have been imposed by Tameside council in Ashton-under-Lyne and neighbouring towns under a dog control order covering dozens of local parks and playing fields, thought to among the first of its kind outside London.
    Dog walkers using them are banned from exercising their pets on leads measuring longer than 6ft 8in (2m) - even though the local council admits it has received no complaints about dogs on long leashes causing a nuisance.
    Today owners of some of Tameside's 30,000 dogs slammed the rules, saying the council should be targeting people who let their pets roam free not those who kept them under control.
    Among them was retired businessman Bernard Lake, 67, who was yesterday exercising his Yorkshire terrier Mickey on King George V playing fields in Ashton-under-Lyne.
    He suffers from breathing difficulties and cannot walk very quickly so he uses a 15ft extendable lead so his pet can still have a run about.
    'Most dog owners use common sense, and the few who don't aren't going to change their behaviour because of a change in the law,' he said yesterday.
    'It's the irresponsible people that make life more difficult for the rest of us public-spirited ones.'
    Painter and decorator Michael Bennett, 53, walking his seven-month-old golden retriever Ash, said: 'There are irresponsible owners who don't control their dogs and don't pick up their dog muck but this won't have any effect on them.
    'They simply won't pay the fine. It's a crazy rule and it won't work.'
    And Sarah Smith, 56, out exercising Jack Russell-cross Millie and King Charles spaniel Oscar, branded the £1,000 fine 'ridiculous'.
    'I only use a short lead now, but I did use a retractable one when the dogs were puppies,' the cleaner said yesterday. 'It was useful. It gave them more exercise.
    'I think it’s terrible the way responsible dog owners are being treated. We are being penalised for a few badly behaved ones.'
    Critics also demanded to know what evidence the local council had that dog owners who used short leads were more likely to clean up after their pets than those who used longer ones.
    The Kennel Club labelled the rules 'completely arbitrary and unnecessary' and said it would penalise dog owners who had taken a responsible decision to exercise their dogs while keeping them fully under control.
    'We believe it will be ineffective and extremely difficult to enforce,' said spokeswoman Caroline Kisko.
    'Many dog owners use flexible retractable leads in order to allow their dogs some freedom while still maintaining control so it seems particularly unfair to limit the length of lead in this way.'
    And Dylan Sharpe, campaign director of Big Brother Watch, said the rule was just the latest example of surveillance powers being used to target law-abiding dog owners.
    'This proposal is completely barking mad,' he said. 'Only a local authority would even think of fining people £1,000 because of the length of their dog lead.
    'This is just the latest in a steady stream of potty policies that try to criminalise and fine innocent dog walkers.'
    Rules imposed under Labour's Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act have proved equally unpopular with dog walkers in other parts of the country.
    In London, which has an estimated one dog for every ten residents, Kensington and Chelsea council stipulates that in certain areas, including public footpaths and grassed squares, dogs must be kept on leads not more than 4ft long.
    It also introduced a rule barring people from walking more than two dogs at a time after complaints about professional dog-walkers blocking pavements with packs of animals, but relaxed that to allow a maximum of six after a chorus of disapproval.
    Meanwhile earlier this year Newark and Sherwood council in Nottinghamshire banned dogs altogether in 72 parks with the threat of £75 on-the-spot fines.
    No official or councillor at Tameside council was available to speak to the Daily Mail yesterday, but a spokesman claimed dog owners who used short leads were more likely to clean up dog mess.
    'The areas where we are asking people to keep their dogs on a lead include formal gardens and sports pitches in parks,' he said.

Read more: Dog owners who walk their pets on leads longer than 6'8 face £1,000 fines | Mail Online

2. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

I just read this too.

3. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

u know one of my cats I put her on a flexy lead and I take her with me walkies ... would I be fined £500 for that ?>:lol::lol::lol::lol:

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

this affects me, fkn stupid ar$ewipe council.

5. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

Another reason I'm glad I moved out of Tameside...:lol:
    (as nice as it is, it's not for me, for numerous reasons (personal ones) :) )

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

What a load of shite :rolleyes:

7. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

How stupid!!!!

8. davehyde

davehyde Banned

it was in our local paper today. i am gonna call the council tomorrow and ask where we can walk our dogs.
    also somewhere in the animal welfare act i think it states dogs are to be allowed off lead excercise as a right. or summat. need to find it.

9. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

but the interesting thing is ,is not going to be only for Manchester , if the strategy works will be extended ... if they can do some more money every council from Uk would adopt the measure ..... watch and see

I tell u with all this so called austerity cuts ,slashes and god knows what else ... we shall have civil unrest more sooner then we think ...

in my opinion capitalism as we knew it is dead

10. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Just as well I don't live there else it would be a matter of do I let my dog chase and disrupt wildlife or keep him on a 30 foot line until I feel he is well trained enough not to run in front of a car when chasing wildlife?

If that rule comes in elsewhere I may leave this country, complete with my dog and then they can't have anything off me!

11. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

They would be better off targeting the idiots who walk along with the lead in their hand and the dog loose, can never get why people do that:confused:
    If youve got a lead for your dog PUT IT ON:rolleyes:
    Sorry meant to say whilst walking along roads.

12. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

Thats ridiculous. Anybody can stick signs up saying no dog fouling but unless somebody polices it it is just a plastic sign. Target the people who do let their dogs foul and leave the rest of us alone. My last dog could not be let off the lead (tried for 7 years) and without her 30ft extending lead she would never have had the pleasure of a good run.

13. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

What Sequeena said

14. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

LOL. Tinsley...this was a Labour law!!! And it's being enforced by a strong Labour council! See what I meant when the election was on?

;)

15. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Oh I know its a Labour thing but its more the way in general councils in certain areas are just going over the top with dogs. Can't remember what it was but there have been other things where local councils want dogs forever on lead or something else daft. I just don't see why dogs have suddenly become such a big nuisance? It happens where I am too (its local councils not specific party views I think though as we're tory) they are just so desperate to restrict what we can do with our dogs around here the council were even on about an on the spot fine if your dog pooed on the pavement whether you cleared it up or not because 'people walk on the pavement' luckily that didn't go far :rolleyes:

And when you say see what I meant when the election was on I can't even remember what you said I'm afraid :laugh:

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

'The areas where we are asking people to keep their dogs on a lead include formal gardens and sports pitches in parks,' he said.

does the final quote rather than the media hype not put it more into perspective. Dogs should not be ranging around in either formal grounds or sports pitches but presumably are allowed on long leads elsewhere. Again the media are scaring people for no good reason.

17. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Blitz, in certain areas of Nottingham (entire districts) it is now illegal to have a dog off lead at all...anywhere.

Knowsley council yesterday had a consultation on bringing in "Dog Control Orders".

If you sign up to KCDog (£10 a year) you will see that the Kennel Club are getting involved now, as these by-laws have been written in such a way that after being passed, it would be very easy for a council (like Nottingham has) to announce that all dogs must be on leads everywhere at all times. They could then simply have a warden standing in a local park handing out fines every 5 minutes. You have to admit, it's a great form of revenue collection for a cash strapped council.

:eek:

The trainer, John Rogerson is also very concerned at the speed these Dog Control Acts are being passed, and he foresees a future within 5 years where responsible dog owners are not able to walk their dogs off lead.
    He is already suggesting some type of alternative training program for dogs whereby they "earn" a yellow card that means they can be let off lead in parks etc.

18. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

they would love it in my area then :rolleyes: we have river walks just on the outskirts of town where dogs are walked off lead a lot, most owners are sensible enough to control their dogs when people and other dogs approach.

There is also a large park area, with paths all round and people are always walking dogs there on and off lead, long leads and flexi.

There are going to be far more problems with dogs if they are made to walk on short leads at a slow pace and not get any proper runs to burn off energy surely than the other way around. The view that long leads and off lead means you wont pick up after them is utter rot, a lazy owner is a lazy owner, it makes NO difference what lead they are on if they are ignorant enough to leave poo they will do it.

19. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I think it's just the way Councils interpret it. Manchester enough said.:rolleyes:

20. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

According to the BBC website:

BBC News - Owner anger at Tameside long dog leads ban

If this is the case, i cant see a huge problem. Although a short lead wont make an owner be responsible and clear up ****.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice