Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Long vacation in UK with a pitty mix

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Dulja, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:31 AM.

1. Dulja

Dulja PetForums Newbie

Our family lives in the Netherlands and we planning to come to UK for a 5-6 week holiday next summer. We would like to bring our well behaved 6 year old pitty mix with us. I understand that there is a breed restriction in place in UK. My question is if the dog could still come with us on a limited vacation? We don't want to jeopardize her well-being by bringing her if she can be taken away from us of course and leaving her back for over a months is not feasible. We would most likely not spend much time in the cities but look for a 2-3 places to rent out for 1-2 weeks in a country side (we could go to a specific country within the UK if that means it will be better for the dog to come with us). Just coming back from a business trip in London where I saw a number of dogs that looked like pit bull mixes being walked by their owners.... Thank you!

2. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Unfortunately Pit types are banned in the UK so your dog would not be allowed here and if you did manage to bring her she will risk being seized if someone reported her :(
    I'm also not sure how pet travel will work after the shambles that is Brexit either so tbh I would avoid.

Torin., Sairy and kimthecat like this.
  3. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

I wouldn't risk it and it may be that you get stopped at the border depending on what's described on the pet passport.

4. Dulja

Dulja PetForums Newbie

Thanks! This is what I already thought but was just super surprised seeing clearly pit bull mixes walking in London with their owners..

5. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I doubt that very much...Pits and their types have been banned for decades so you probably saw generic bull breed mixes.

You can go through the process of exemption which means that you are the registered keeper of the dog and they have to be leashed and muzzled in public with 3rd party liability insurance...most of these dogs have done nothing wrong but measure up to the ridiculous measurements...but yeah, I doubt very much that you saw pits in London unfortunately.

Torin. and kimthecat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice