Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

long line...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cassies-mum, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

That looks nice. I dont think ive seen one longer than 30ft.

3. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

I just use a lunge lead on mine!

I already had it here, strong enough to hold a horse, you know that your doggie is going now where fast lol.

Mine was 30ft same as the long lead, have a look on ebay for one of those and compare prices! :)

4. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

looks good - mine cost £10 form the horse shop :D

5. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

#5 2Hounds, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  6. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

I used to go to a fabric shop n buy any length curtain cord i wanted...used n old lead with clip n fasten together.
    Also dont 4get leather gloves....I have bad rope burns from preventing my dog going to say hello to some ferrets at a show last sunday:(

7. Clodge

Clodge PetForums Member

100ft - wowee!! :eek: I struggle pulling the 30ft line. I think by the time I've pulled in the 100ft lead mine would have had chance to have a half our play about as I get all in a muddle!

8. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Ihave 30ft one ,used it to teach one of my dogs recall,only probs i sometimes had was hurt hands if he ran off to fast and had to be careful he did not get legs tangled in lead,but it worked for what i wanted it for,he now goes off lead and recalls great

9. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I know its massive although some people must use them or they wouldn't make it i guess. Do they just let the dog run with it trailing on the ground?

I got the 15ft one because i find the horse lunge line too long and get all tangled. I just use it to give the boys a bit of sniffing freedom when we walk round the woods, but didn't want it so long they'd run around on it as i'd probably end up on my backside given the acceleration rate.

#9 2Hounds, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  10. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

oh they do them in a mixture of colours to - even purple (my fav colour)

11. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Just like to add my tuppence here as a cautionary tale!!!

I have a long line - i threw a ball for Indy, lead wrapped around my foot and she dragged me down the field. Yes i was rather stupid.... but watch your feet!!! I ended up with a total of 5 doctors appointments for wound dressings, and i have about a 6x5inch scar around my foot!

12. GSDlover4ever

something simmilar happened to me lol
    we were at the beach for the first time, zara on long line i threw her frisbee as i was holding the long line and lets just say the frisbee went more than the long line does and i went flying and landed on my butt - zara happely came to my rescue with frisbee on her mouth lol

luckily enough nobody was a round!

13. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

I don't like the loop which looks too snaggable if, like me, you allow it to trail on the ground.

Either way I'd make sure to use a harness with this as a dog can get quite a speed up with resultant risk of neck injury if theese are attached to collars.

I've received hospital treatment for friction burns on the back of the leg. Wonder if that was recorded in NHS stats as a dog-caused injury.:rolleyes:

14. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

i know not to use one with a collar, but i think ill get an extendable lead :rolleyes:

15. GSDlover4ever

personally i prefer a long line - had an extendable lead and i used it to practice retreve when doing OB - well i threw the toy, whilst zara sat nicely next to me - i releassed her to get it and as she ran to get it - guess what it snapped.

luckily enough she has a great recall, i dont want to know what it would be like if she hadn't! :eek:

16. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I got the purple & royal blue cushion web ones, nice colours and soft feeling webbing :) Tho i tend to wear some leather gloves to be able to grip if needs be without getting rope burns.

How do you get the dog wound back in with a flexi? I've never used one and there not recommended with greys.

17. GSDlover4ever

i think you would press a button or pull for the lead to retract back in to the handle! :)

btw did you buy ur long line from the company stated?

18. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

You need to do a forward backward motion to reel the dog in on a extendable lead; arm forward, lock, arm backwards, release, arm forward, lock etc etc.

Great fun, you look like a total plonker too if you're trying to do it super quick!

Glad lots of others have suffered with long leads too (sorry guys i know that's mean!)... but they're SO dangerous if you don't have your eye on the game (and a slightly crazy dog). Personally i only choose to use if for training and not for day to day use because of the injuries and the tangles etc.

19. Stellabelly

Stellabelly PetForums Senior

We went to our local hardware store and bought a rope (not plastic) washing line 30 feet and a clasp (like you get on a dog lead) and made up our own. Used it with a harness so she didn't hurt her neck/throat. This was how we taught Stella recall. Recommended by trainer at her classes.

20. GSDlover4ever

did you get your lone line from the website mentioned?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice