Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Long line lead for dachshund puppy?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SJ31, Apr 7, 2021.

1. SJ31

SJ31 PetForums Newbie

I’m looking for a long line lead to train recall to my 4 month old mini dachshund puppy. He’s tiny and all the ones I’ve seen have huge clasps which I’m worried will be too heavy for him. Can anyone recommend one with a small clasp?

Torin. likes this.
  2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Torin., SJ31 and kimthecat like this.
  3. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

A few places make them to order so can choose which size and type of clasp you want

SJ31 likes this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Why not buy a small clip or remove one from an old lead and attach it to the long line

5. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Although many places make biothane longlines to order, Rockit Dog Design are the only company who use small dog appropriate hardware. The other main UK brand insists that their standard clips are fine for small dogs (they're very much not). Additionally standard biothane has too much dragweight for small dogs who haven't gone through intensive conditioning training. Many places now offer extra-strong or extra-grippy lines, but it's rare to find makers who cater to small dogs and their specific needs.

The Rockit clips are specifically very lightweight and less bulky. They also use a different more lightweight biothane for the line itself, which is more weight appropriate too - this is another biggy people with big dogs don't often consider. Small dogs ones didn't used to be an option until I contacted Victoria asking about small dog suitable things, and unlike the other shops I had contacted, she went out of her way to help. She's super lovely so if you have any questions do message her. Cad's line was essentially the prototype to the ones that are now being sold as standard - he's the smol orange in the 'line on a dog' photo on the listing :D

My other recommendation if you want cheaper, is the Heim rope line sold by Zooplus. It's clip is also small and lightweight (smaller actually, 35g compared to 39g and also shorter), and the rope is big enough in diameter to be comfy to hold, but not to wide that it is very heavy when wet. I would recommend the 10m one - it's a good length for training and extra freedom on the lead, but so long that you again need to consider the weight of the material when it's wet or on the beach.
    https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/nylon_leads/special/98294

Full clip info here:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Buq6ly_gxDm/

I recently bought a 2nd Heim longline to cut down for scentwork. For a while over winter they were out of stock and I looked into making my own from cheap sailing rope. But for a small dog you can't just knot the rope onto a clip as the most secure knots (it needs to be secure for wet weather) are also a bit too bulky. So you need to use heat-shrink stuff over whipping - which are extra skills to learn and equipment to buy. I would have done that if the Heim had remained out of stock, but it would be more faff and greater expense.

eta - for the OP's info, my dog is 5.5-6Kg (I think everyone else here knows that), and I specifically do not recommend the other Heim longline that ZP sells for small dogs. The line itself is much too weighty, especially with the friction of dragging, even when it's dry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice