Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Long-lasting chews

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, May 1, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a long-lasting chew of some sort for when McKenzie is at work with me and I need to keep her occupied.

I have been using the Ziwipeak deer hoofs and shanks with great success but I'm doing my next Ziwipeak order through PetPlanet and they don't have any in stock right now, and I don't want to pay postage from Bern for just them.

It needs to be something tasty enough to keep her occupied for up to an hour, and that will preferably last a few hours of chewing.

She does have a deer antler thing (can't remember what they're called) which she chews on occasionally but she's not that fussed with it. Frozen kongs don't last more than 15 minutes.

I would give her a raw bone but I don't have a butcher in walking distance and can't find any at the supermarket.

Any ideas greatly appreciated, especially things PetPlanet might sell :)

2. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Sorry, should have said I'd prefer not to give her rawhide.

And nylobones don't excite her at all.

4. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I get Sailor pork shanks from Morrisons... plenty of chewy skin on them, tasty meat and then a nice big raw bone at the end of it to chew on :D
    And for £1.50 approx, I think they are brilliant !!!

They last Sailor an hour, and his a big dog with a powerful bite, so I imagine for little McKenzie, it would last an awful lot longer !!!

If you dont mind, you could take all the meat off the bone at home and just take the raw bone to work ?? Ive never had chance to see the bone up close when Sailor has had his, but I think its a knuckle bone lol

Sailor has those and chewsday raw hides from super markets, which dont last long and I dont think they have enough taste to stay interesting for long ... Sailor chews his til its all gone, but I don`t think he has any taste buds and just chews it til its gone, because he doesnt trust me or the kids not to nick it if he leaves it unattended :rolleyes:

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Have a look on Zooplus, they do all sorts of weird and wonderful chews. The ostrich tendons, wild game braid sticks, rabbit ears and venison trachea are all resonably long lasting.

Burgess do a good range of natural chews too - the venison paddywack chews are long lasting Burgess Supadog British Venison Paddywhack 30g Rawhide Chews for Sale (link says rawhide, but they're not at all)

Take a look at the Antos range too, the hedgehog and crocodile shaped chews take my boys ages. AntosUK - HOME

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice