Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Long journey advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bex190, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

As I'm sure most of you have heard, I'm picking my puppy up on Saturday.
    The breeder is about 5 hours drive from me so I was wondering how you feel it would be best to organise the journey.

Would it be better to have frequent stops for toilet breaks which would make the overall journey take longer, or have less breaks to get the journey over with sooner?
    How often do you think it would be advisable to stop?

My dad will be driving so I can look after the puppy and we will have plenty of water and newspaper. Any other traveling advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks for any advice.

2. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Do you mean toilet breaks for you or the pup,

3. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

LOL for the pup!

4. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

When we picked Logan up he was 2 and a half hours away, we didn't stop on the way home but thought it best just to keep going and get him home. We just wasnted to be able to let him into the garden for some air and a wee!!
    He was too terrified in the car to drink. He did get very hot on my lap so i sat him in the footwell with the cool air blowing on him. I did ask the breeders not to feed him before we collected him so he wouldn't be sick in the car and it seemed to work as he wasn't! I don't think there really is a good way to do it as they are so nervous with all the new smells and sounds and experiences, just as quick and smooth as you can make it really. Our journey home hasn't put Logan off of the car as he loves getting into it and going out!!
    Here are a couple of pictures of him in the footwell for his journey home.

Attached Files:

5. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

the pup will beable to hold it for that time, plus he,she will not beable to go on the ground any way, i did a longer journey with one of my puppies

6. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Thank you for the replies, that's very reasuring. I'll just try to get the journey done as quickly as possible then.
    It's good to know that Logan still likes his car jouneys, he looks a bit bewildered in the photos, it must all be very confusing for them i suppose.

7. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

good luck with the journey, will want to see the photos and lot of them, sorry i didn't see the thread what breed are you getting, boy or girl

8. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

The rescue centre we go Bailey from was about 2 hours away from us. He was very nervous and excited and was sick and peed in the car even though we stopped and gave him water etc.

I'd just be prepared with plenty of stuff to clean up sick/poo/wee, water for a drink and keep the windows open.

Good luck with your new pup! :)

9. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Thank you Archielee and HighlandQuine.
    I'm getting a Hungarian Vizsla boy, can't wait!
    I've got a wipe clean cover for the car seats and fabric cleaner spray just in case! I've got some puppy training pads for when he gets home but I think I'll just take a load of newspaper and kitchen roll for the journey.

10. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Oh and don't go dressed up as my pup thought I'll pee here so I had a lovely wet patch on the side of my hip ( lovely ) and he was a bit sick so take an old towel for him to sleep on.

11. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

He was very bewildered and confused bless him, i have to admit i think i got more upset on the journey home to think we had just taken him from mummy and all his littermates but he was absolutely fine!! ;)

Good luck getting your pup, can't wait for the photos :) :D

12. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

My pup slept most of a 3 hour journey on a blanket in the footwell of the passenger side!

13. Ted&Sarah

Ted&Sarah PetForums Junior

My puppy slept for the entire 3 hour journey home from the breeders. We bought a plastic travel cage (like a cat carrier) and I had him in that on my lap in the front seat while my husband drove. He didn't make any mess at all just some noise for the first 5-10 mins.

Good luck

14. davehyde

davehyde Banned

pup will be fine i expect.

just make sure he is secure as if yoiu need to emergency stop he could get flung hard foward.

also as suggested plenty of wipes,towels etc and a bottle of water and a bowl.

if you have him in a crate maybe a safe toy or a towel to snuggle into for security.

when we brought ours home we did stop to let him out but put a blanket on the ground first to prevent him from touching it, he peed and pooped on it and we binned when we got home.

15. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

When collecting both my leos 5-7 hours drive away (one SE oneSW).
    Both the breeders had spent time getting the litters used to cars people etc so I knew travel sickness wasnt a problem.
    We timed the return journey to coincide with post breakfast naps in order to make it as least traumatic as pos.
    They had their breakfast and as they where all settling for nap time, Harry's 2 legged granny popped him onto a pre mummy/litter smelling blanket in the bak of my car. She then sat with him for a couple of mins saying good bye and making sure he was comfy, then we swapped places and set off.
    He slept like a log, and we only stopped twice for weewee breaks.
    He settled no prob and still adores the car....would live in it if he could.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice