Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Long haired guines pigs??

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Emmiiee, May 12, 2010.

1. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

I'm getting two long haired guinea pigs, was just wondering what they are like, same temerpent as normal pigs? i guess they need extra grooming? same diet and living conditions? Also do they ever need hair cuts? x

2. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

They do need extra grooming, but I honestly don't find them any more difficult that smoothies. You may need to trim around their bottom, some piggies are a bit dirty and will wee on their long hair! They also need baths, every 2 months is good, but make sure they are fully dry before they go back in their hutch/cage. Boys need more space. Long haired breeds are often bigger than smoothies, so they need a bigger cage. I wouldn't put 2 long haired piggies in anything less that 5ft.

I also trim mine several times a year. Here's Gizmo after a trim and groom. One of my fave pics...
    [​IMG]

The fullest we let him get...
    [​IMG]

Front view...
    [​IMG]

#2 happysaz133, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

I'm getting females hoping to bond with my lonely female(short haired) who i have at the mo, they will all live in this cage, once/if bonded, which i think is the right size for 3 pigs,?? aww guinea pig bath lol! great info! oo and is sawdust and straw still okay to use? x

[​IMG]

4. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

Aww those pics are sooo cutee, his lil spiky hair aha ! x

5. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

the only thing i found with mine was that they tended to just use the one layer in there DOUBLE hutch. They seemed to preferre a longer hutch on one leveL.

6. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

That cage doesn't look big enough for 3 IMO, what length is it? Also, a lo of guinea pigs won't/can't use ramps. You will need to train them but some never get it. Also, I'd put walls on the ramp if you do decide to put them in it, to prevent them falling off the edges.

Are you on any guinea pig forums? I recommend this one...
    The Guinea Pig Forum - Powered by vBulletin

7. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

the pic dosen't do it justice it has to be atleast 5ft it just looks smaller because its square on, and the other guinea uses the ramp fine so im hoping they will learn off of her, its a perpose made guinea hutch. oo and i'll have a look at them forum :) x

8. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

the guinea i have in there at the mo used the ramp fine, so im hoping they will learn from her x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice