Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Long haired dogs - what collars do you use?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Amelia66, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

Wondering what collars people use on their long haired dogs? We are using normal collars currently which i dont really have an issue with most days. Sometimes they are a nightmare and i find myself digging through hair to clip them together, and even then i have trapped some hair and then when they lead goes on its obviously uncomfortable for the dog.

Wondering what you guys use and why?

2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I use a semi slip for my heavy coated dog as it doesnt mark his fur too much and the ring dangles down on his chest so easy to locate.

Amelia66 likes this.
  3. Hanlou

Hanlou PetForums VIP

I don't.... I use harnesses for walking them and don't use a collar at all although I know there's a possible issue regarding the legality of a tag on a harness.

I do own two half-check collars with light-up tag things on for visibility. These are the easiest for my two.

Amelia66 likes this.
  4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I use half-checks on Oz and Harvey - they only wear them on walks though.

Amelia66 likes this.
  5. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

I have a half-check, normal flat collar with a plastic buckle and a normal leather collar. I walk Axel with a slip lead most of the time so it's easier to get the lead on in an emergency as I hate fiddling trying to find the ring on the collar...

Amelia66 likes this.
  6. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

I also walk mine on harnesses and don't usually bother to put their collars on.
    The collars they have are fairly standard clip ones, Harley's is a Mekuti one and Benji's is made by Wolters. They do the job fine, I don't have a problem with them, but as the dogs have their harnesses on for walks it seems a bit superfluous to put collars on as well!

Amelia66 likes this.
  7. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Mine aren't really long haired but thick haired ( although Shelby's is quite long) and mine all wear SASS Semi Slips :)

Amelia66 likes this.
  8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

These have the SASS Buckle Collars, but they are not walked on the collars they have the SASS Harnesses, although on some occasions I will clip a double ended lead one end to the collar and one to the harness ring for double security and better control.

Amelia66 likes this.
  9. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Samwise has standard buckle collars, martingales, semi slips etc.... everything lol.
    My favourite for him is a fleece lined pne from El Perro (but any fleece lined one would work the same I assume!) - his floofs don't get all tangled around it and snagged like they do with some of his others :)

Amelia66 likes this.
  10. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Jack has a Semi Slip, a Martingale and a Half check.

Amelia66 likes this.
  11. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

Thanks guys!

We do walk them on a harness, but toilet trips are on the collar and first thing in the morning when im half dead it takes so long to put them on haha.

12. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I always used a half check. A lot of my friends use rolled leather but I found the leather colour ran into his fur.

Amelia66 likes this.
  13. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

I'd suggest a semi slip.

Amelia66 likes this.
  14. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Duchess has a chain type collar. Its three rows of parallel chain links about 0.5cm each link with a leather strap. I prefer that type as the hair doesn't get trapped and flattened so easily.

Amelia66 likes this.
  15. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

have a look at rolled leather half check collars. it's what i've got for cherokee as i'm keeping her coat long for showing.

Amelia66 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice