UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: so we have a 9 week old Chinese crested powderpuff and the only problem we are having so far is that when he goes for a poop he gets bits of poo in his hair by his bum .. I brought him in yesterday and it took me ages to figure out were the smell was coming from and when I realized I had to bath him to un matt it all , bleurgh :eek: , just wonderd if other people with long haired breeds had this problem and what can I do about it … maybe clip the hair around that area abit???

G

·
Are his stools quite soft? If they're firm it should be much less of a problem. You could also snip away some of the hair from the area, provided that won't make him look weird! :eek:

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Are his stools quite soft? If they're firm it should be much less of a problem. You could also snip away some of the hair from the area, provided that won't make him look weird! :eek:
Think I'd rather my dog look weird than have to clean his bum every time he had a poo lol.

One of the dogs we looked at in the shelter was a Mudi and we were told that she needed her bottom cleaning regularly as it got dirty when she pooped. It's bad enough having to pick it up never mind having to wipe their backsides as well :eek:

Sorry, I have no advice. Hope someone can help though.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Usually only happens here when they have had softer stool which D is prone to. I usually use loo roll to get the worst out when we get home, then it's either bath or letting the rest dry and giving her a good brush.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
his poo isn't too soft :001_unsure: , i'll give it a little trim i think it shouldn't make him look too weird lol , i cant be doing with him smelling all pooey :eek:

thanks

·
Registered
694 Posts
My samoyed has long hair. I use fragrance free baby wipes. I wipe her every time she does a poo, which is usually once a day, it only takes a minute and Heidi is so used to the routine she waits to be wiped.

One of the penalties of having a dog with lots of long hair.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My samoyed has long hair. I use fragrance free baby wipes. I wipe her every time she does a poo, which is usually once a day, it only takes a minute and Heidi is so used to the routine she waits to be wiped.

One of the penalties of having a dog with lots of long hair.
i did try wiping it out with a baby wipe but it was all matted in :eek: , im sure it wont be so bad once he's a bit older and he settles into a pooing routine , but i don't want to have to bath him every day as im sure that wont do his coat much good ..

·
Premium Member
33,946 Posts
I trim Dillon but normally he is clean, and I use simple wipes on him.

G

·
I find when I try wiping I just smear it everywhere :eek: I find a wet cloth works best, and anything that is dry I cut out.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
I'll stick to shorter coated dogs, thank you!
Oh but even they can have their poo problems. I regularly have to help Spen coz he's managed to swallow one of my hairs and has a lovely string of poo hanging from his bum :rolleyes:

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
Once you can find a food which produces really firm waste you won't have this problem. One of my newfoundlands though often had a sh**ty bum and I mean really bad, not just a bit matted in. And he was afraid of anyone getting under his tail so I had to sedate him every time, get a bowl of warm water and soap and wash his bum. I had to do this at least once a fortnight, so don't feel too bad.

I never could find a food that suited him.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I have tailbone length hair and our last dog (Glen of Imaal Terrier so long haired with 2 coats) had a really bad tendancy of swallowing my hairs, she'd poo a bit then walk along a few " then poo a bit more... if it was attached to my hair then it would last ages!

Our cavachon pup has worse fur (plus her fur is white) we trim round her bum and inspect her each time she has a poo, I've had the baby wipes down there a few times (she also gets yellow stains round her wee wee spot!)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Lol this use to happen with ebony when she was a pup. Will called them butt nuggets :D

We use to cut them out and trim her backside very short! OH and I have also been known to wash her backside in the sink :)

Since having her on a good quality feed it doesn't really happen anymore... Can't remember the last time.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
We have Willow trimmed around that area when she goes to the groomers but it usually isn't a problem as she very rarely has soft poos.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.