Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Long hair tortie girl wanted

Discussion in 'Cat Classifieds' started by ClaireLily, Jul 17, 2009.

1. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

Hi, i currently have 2 lady torties, one is 1yr one is 10 weeks, given how well my eldest coped with the new arrival I am seriously considering getting another. I have become a bit obsessed with the torties and would love a long haired one. Any one got any sensible thoughts on this to try and bring me back down to earth?
    Or any one got any idea where about I might look for such a kit in Scotland?

2. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

can i ask a question...are all torties females? or is that just a mith?

3. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

The tortie pattern is as a result of a sex linked gene. This means there is a dominant orange gene which is only necessary as a single copy in an offspring and the back gene which is recessive meaning it require two copies to be displayed in an offspring. Since these genes are found on the X chromosome 99.9% of all torties are female as they have 2 X chromosomes. Male torties are found but are usually infertile and often have an extra X chromosome as well as the normal X and Y.

4. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i drove up to methill in fife to get my long haired tortie (she is a gorgeous blue tortie) from glasgow but am not sure where her original owner got her. if you are serious, look for maine coon breeders up there and if you are introducing a cat like that it should be ok as coonies are great cats but you do need to groom them and make sure they get enough oil in their diet as their skn can get very dry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice